Upstream / Downstream
Explore pathways related to this product.
CST Antibody Performance Guarantee
To Purchase # 7877S
|7877S||100 µl (50 tests)|
Find answers on our FAQs page.
PTM information and tools available.
AFP (3H8) Mouse mAb (Alexa Fluor® 594 Conjugate) #7877
Confocal immunofluorescent analysis of Hep G2 (left) and HeLa (right) cells using AFP (3H8) Mouse mAb (Alexa Fluor® 594 Conjugate) (red). Actin filaments were labeled with Alexa Fluor® 488 phalloidin (green). Blue pseudocolor = DRAQ5® #4084 (fluorescent DNA dye).Learn more about how we get our images
Gallery: AFP (3H8) Mouse mAb (Alexa Fluor® 594 Conjugate) #7877
A. Solutions and Reagents
NOTE: Prepare solutions with reverse osmosis deionized (RODI) or equivalently purified water.
- 20X Phosphate Buffered Saline (PBS): (9808) To prepare 1L 1X PBS: add 50 ml 20X PBS to 950 ml dH2O, mix. Adjust pH to 8.0.
- Formaldehyde: 16%, methanol free, Polysciences, Inc. (cat# 18814), use fresh and store opened vials at 4°C in dark, dilute in 1X PBS for use.
- Permeabilization Buffer (1X PBS/0.2% Triton X-100):
To prepare 25 ml, add 2.5 ml 10X PBS, and 22.5 ml dH2O and mix well. While stirring, add 50 µl Triton X-100.
- Image-iT™ FX Signal Enhancer (#11932)
- Blocking Buffer (1X PBS / 5% normal serum / 0.3% Triton™ X-100): To prepare 10 ml, add 0.5 ml normal serum from the same species as the secondary antibody (e.g., Normal Goat Serum (#5425)) and 0.5 mL 20X PBS to 9.0 mL dH2O, mix well. While stirring, add 30 µl Triton™ X-100.
- Antibody Dilution Buffer (1X PBS / 1% BSA / 0.3% Triton X-100): To prepare 10 ml, add 30 µl Triton™ X-100 to 10 ml 1X PBS. Mix well then add 0.1 g BSA (9998), mix.
- Prolong® Gold AntiFade Reagent (#9071), Prolong® Gold AntiFade Reagent with DAPI (#8961).
B. Specimen Preparation - Cultured Cell Lines (IF-IC)
NOTE: Cells should be grown, treated, fixed, and stained directly in multi-well plates, chamber slides, or on coverslips.
- Aspirate liquid, then cover cells to a depth of 2–3 mm with 4% formaldehyde in 1X PBS.
NOTE: Formaldehyde is toxic, use only in fume hood.
- Allow cells to fix for 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Aspirate fixative, rinse three times in 1X PBS for 5 minutes each.
- Proceed with Immunostaining (Section C).
NOTE: All subsequent incubations should be carried out at room temperature unless otherwise noted in a humid light-tight box or covered dish/plate to prevent drying and fluorochrome fading.
- Permeabilize the cells in Permeabilization Buffer for 5 minutes at room temperature.
- Rinse three times in 1X PBS for 5 minutes each.
- Apply 3–4 drops of Image-iT™ FX Signal Enhancer (#11932) and incubate for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Rinse three times with 1X PBS for 5 minutes each.
- Block specimen in Blocking Buffer for 60 minutes.
- While blocking, prepare primary antibody by diluting as indicated on datasheet in Antibody Dilution Buffer.
- Aspirate blocking solution, apply diluted primary antibody.
- Incubate overnight at 4°C.
- Rinse three times in 1X PBS for 5 minutes each.
- Coverslip slides with Prolong® Gold Antifade Reagent (#9071), Prolong® Gold AntiFade Reagent with DAPI (#8961).
- For best results, examine specimens immediately using appropriate excitation wavelength. For long-term storage, store slides flat at 4°C protected from light.
posted Februay 2011
protocol id: 6
AFP (3H8) Mouse mAb (Alexa Fluor® 594 Conjugate) recognizes endogenous levels of total AFP protein.Species Reactivity: Human
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with a recombinant fragment of human AFP.
This Cell Signaling Technology antibody is conjugated to Alexa Fluor® 594 fluorescent dye and tested in-house for direct immunofluorescent analysis in human cells. This antibody is expected to exhibit the same species cross-reactivity as the unconjugated AFP (3H8) Mouse mAb #3903.
Alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) is a 65 kDa glycoprotein found in the mammalian fetal liver, yolk sac, and GI tract. While AFP expression in adult cells is low, it is aberrantly expressed in adult liver cancer cells (1,2). The tumor suppressor gene p53 and β-catenin are both involved in the regulation of AFP expression. In normal adult cells, p53 binds to the repressor region of the AFP gene, thereby blocking transcription. Mutations in both p53 and β-catenin are associated with aberrant expression of AFP. Research studies have shown that elevated serum AFP levels are predictive of hepatocellular carcinoma (3).
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures. Cell Signaling Technology® is a trademark of Cell Signaling Technology, Inc. DRAQ5® is a registered trademark of Biostatus Limited. The Alexa Fluor® dye antibody conjugates in this product are sold under license from Life Technologies Corporation for research use only, except for use in combination with DNA microarrays. The Alexa Fluor® dyes (except for Alexa Fluor® 430 dye) are covered by pending and issued patents. Alexa Fluor® is a registered trademark of Molecular Probes, Inc.