Product Pathways - Translational Control
S6 Ribosomal Protein Blocking Peptide #1155
This peptide is used to block S6 Ribosomal Protein (5G10) Rabbit mAb # 2217 reactivity.
The quality of the peptide was evaluated by reversed-phase HPLC and by mass spectrometry. The peptide blocks S6 Ribosomal Protein (5G10) Rabbit Monoclonal Antibody # 2217 signal completely in both immunohistochemistry and Western blotting.
Western blot analysis of extracts from 293 and C6 cells, using S6 Ribosomal Protein (5G10) Rabbit Monoclonal Antibody # 2217 (left) or the same antibody preincubated with S6 Ribosomal Protein Blocking Peptide (right).
Use as a blocking reagent to evaluate the specificity of antibody reactivity in Western immunoblotting and immunohistochemistry protocols.
Directions for Use
For immunohistochemistry, add twice the volume of peptide as volume of antibody used in 100 µl total volume. Incubate for a minimum of 30 minutes prior to adding the entire volume to the slide. Recommended antibody dilutions can be found on the relevant product data sheet.
For Western immunoblotting, add 10 µl of antibody and 10 µl of blocking peptide to 10 ml of antibody dilution buffer, and incubate at room
temperature for 30 minutes before allowing to react with the blot.
One way that growth factors and mitogens effectively promote sustained cell growth and proliferation is by upregulating mRNA translation (1,2). Growth factors and mitogens induce the activation of p70 S6 kinase and the subsequent phosphorylation of the S6 ribosomal protein. Phosphorylation of S6 ribosomal protein correlates with an increase in translation of mRNA transcripts that contain an oligopyrimidine tract in their 5' untranslated regions (2). These particular mRNA transcripts (5'TOP) encode proteins involved in cell cycle progression, as well as ribosomal proteins and elongation factors necessary for translation (2,3). Important S6 ribosomal protein phosphorylation sites include several residues (Ser235, Ser236, Ser240, and Ser244) located within a small, carboxy-terminal region of the S6 protein (4,5).
No product specific background information is currently available for this product.
- Dufner, A. and Thomas, G. (1999) Exp. Cell Res. 253, 100-109.
- Peterson, R.T. and Schreiber, S.L. (1998) Curr. Biol. 8, R248-R250.
- Jefferies, H.B. et al. (1997) EMBO J. 16, 3693-3704.
- Ferrari, S. et al. (1991) J. Biol. Chem. 266, 22770-22775.
- Flotow, H. and Thomas, G. (1992) J. Biol. Chem. 267, 3074-3078.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 2217 S6 Ribosomal Protein (5G10) Rabbit mAb
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.