Product Pathways - Neuroscience
Phospho-Tau (Ser400/Thr403/Ser404) Antibody #11837
|W||H M R||Endogenous||50-80||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Phospho-Tau (Ser400/Thr403/Ser404) Antibody recognizes endogenous levels of tau protein when phosphorylated at Ser400 or Thr403 or Ser404. This antibody also detects dual phosphorylation at Ser400/Thr403, Ser400/Ser404, or Thr403/Ser404, and triple phosphorylation at Ser400/Thr403/Ser404.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Ser400/Thr403/Ser404 of human tau protein. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Tau is a heterogeneous microtubule-associated protein that promotes and stabilizes microtubule assembly, especially in axons. Six isoforms with different amino-terminal inserts and different numbers of tandem repeats near the carboxy terminus have been identified, and tau is hyperphosphorylated at approximately 25 sites by Erk, GSK-3, and CDK5 (1,2). Phosphorylation decreases the ability of tau to bind to microtubules. Neurofibrillary tangles are a major hallmark of Alzheimer's disease; these tangles are bundles of paired helical filaments composed of hyperphosphorylated tau. In particular, phosphorylation at Ser396 by GSK-3 or CDK5 destabilizes microtubules. Furthermore, research studies have shown that inclusions of tau are found in a number of other neurodegenerative diseases, collectively known as tauopathies (1,3).
Investigators have shown that tau phosphorylation at Ser404 destabilizes microtubules and that tau is hyperphosphorylated at Ser404 in Alzheimer's disease (4-7).
- Johnson , G.V. and Stoothoff , W.H. (2004) J. Cell Sci. 117, 5721-5729.
- Hanger, D. P. et al. (1998) J. Neurochem. 71, 2465-2476.
- Bramblett, G. T. et al. (1993) Neuron 10, 1089-1099.
- Shiurba, R.A. et al. (1996) Brain Res 737, 119-32.
- Hanger, D.P. et al. (1998) J Neurochem 71, 2465-76.
- Evans, D.B. et al. (2000) J Biol Chem 275, 24977-83.
- Bertrand, J. et al. (2010) Neuroscience 168, 323-34.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 9338 GSK-3α Antibody
- 9336 Phospho-GSK-3β (Ser9) Antibody
- 9337 Phospho-GSK-3α (Ser21) (46H12) Mouse mAb
- 9910 Phospho-MAPK Family Antibody Sampler Kit
- 4542 MAP2 Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 9999 Nonfat Dry Milk
- 9998 BSA
- 9997 Tris Buffered Saline with Tween 20 (TBST-10X)
- 4019 Tau (Tau46) Mouse mAb
- 11834 Phospho-Tau (Ser202) Antibody
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.