Product Pathways - Metabolism
NBC1/SLC4A4 Antibody #11867
|W IP||H M Mk||Endogenous||135-145||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
NBC1/SLC4A4 Antibody recognizes endogenous levels of total NBC1 protein. This antibody also cross-reacts with 42 and 62 kDa proteins of unknown origin in some cell lines.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues near the carboxy terminus of human NBC1 protein. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from LNCaP and LN18 cells using NBC1/SLC4A4 Antibody.
NBC1/SLC4A4 is an eletrogenic sodium bicarbonate cotransporter. It mediates the coupled movement of Na+ and HCO3- ions across the basolateral membrane of cells. NBC1 regulates secretion and absorption of bicarbonate and modulates intracellular pH (1-3). There are five isoforms of NBC1 produced by alternative splicing including the most studied isoforms, 1 and 2, which have different N termini. The N terminus of isoform 1 contains multiple consensus phosphorylation sites for various kinases, such as PKA, PKC, and CK II, and may play a regulatory role in the biological function of NBC1 (4). Interaction with carbonic anhydrase II, IV, and IX regulates the transporter acitivity of NBC1 (5-7). NBC1 is expressed in various tissues with the exception of isoform 2, which is mainly expressed in kidney proximal tubules (1). Isoform 1 is expressed in the pancreas and corneal endothelium, and at low levels in other tissues including heart, skeletal muscle, liver, and prostate (4). Research studies have shown that mutations in the NBC1 gene are linked to proximal renal tubular acidosis with ocular abnormalities (also known as renal tubular acidosis II).
- Burnham, C.E. et al. (1997) J Biol Chem 272, 19111-4.
- Amlal, H. et al. (1998) J Biol Chem 273, 16810-5.
- Choi, I. et al. (1999) Am J Physiol 276, C576-84.
- Abuladze, N. et al. (1998) J Biol Chem 273, 17689-95.
- Alvarez, B.V. et al. (2003) Biochemistry 42, 12321-9.
- Loiselle, F.B. et al. (2004) Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 286, C1423-33.
- Svastova, E. et al. (2012) J Biol Chem 287, 3392-402.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.