Product Pathways - Chromatin Regulation / Epigenetics
Nucleolin Antibody #12247
|W||H M R Mk||Endogenous||100||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Nucleolin Antibody recognizes endogenous levels of total nucleolin protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues near the amino terminus of human nucleolin protein. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Nucleolin is a multi-functional protein that is one of the major components of the nucleoli (1). Nucleolin plays an essential role in various steps of ribosome biogenesis including rRNA synthesis, processing of pre-rRNA, pre-ribosomal RNA assembly, and transport of ribosomal proteins out of the nucleus (1-3). While the main function of nucleolin is ribosome biogenesis, it plays an important role in various other nuclear activities. Down regulation of nucleolin leads to increased expression of p53, defects in genome duplication, and a delay at prometaphase during mitosis leading to cell cycle arrest (4-6). In addition, nucleolin has been found in a complex with Rad51 and may participate in DNA repair by homologous recombination (7). Nucleolin binds to the catalytic subunit of the human telomerase reverse transcriptase, hTERT, and is thought to be involved in telomere maintenance (8). Nucleolin also possesses histone chaperone activity and is able to enhance the chromatin remodeling efficiency of SWItch/Sucrose Non Fermentable (SWI/SNF) and ATP-dependent chromatin-assembly factor (ACF), remove histone H2A-H2B dimers from nucleosomes, and facilitate the passage of RNA polymerase through chromatin (9).
- Tajrishi, M.M. et al. (2011) Commun Integr Biol 4, 267-75.
- Ginisty, H. et al. (1999) J Cell Sci 112 ( Pt 6), 761-72.
- Srivastava, M. and Pollard, H.B. (1999) FASEB J 13, 1911-22.
- Takagi, M. et al. (2005) Cell 123, 49-63.
- Ugrinova, I. et al. (2007) BMC Mol Biol 8, 66.
- Ma, N. et al. (2007) J Cell Sci 120, 2091-105.
- De, A. et al. (2006) Biochem Biophys Res Commun 344, 206-13.
- Khurts, S. et al. (2004) J Biol Chem 279, 51508-15.
- Angelov, D. et al. (2006) EMBO J 25, 1669-79.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.