Product Pathways - Adhesion
Basigin/EMMPRIN Antibody #12314
Reactivity Key: H=Human
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Basigin/EMMPRIN Antibody recognizes endogenous levels of total Basigin/EMMPRIN protein. This antibody may cross-react with a protein of unknown origin at ~80 kDa in some cell lines.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Val226 of human Basigin/EMMPRIN protein. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from various cell lines using Basigin/EMMPRIN Antibody.
Basigin (EMMPRIN, CD147) is a type I integral membrane receptor protein belonging to the immunoglobulin superfamily (1). Basigin is a glycosylated protein with four known isoforms, of which isoform 2 is the most abundantly expressed (2). Multiple functions have been ascribed to Basigin; foremost among these is stimulating the secretion of extracellular matrix metalloproteinases by adjacent fibroblasts, a function which has been implicated in promoting tumor progression (2-4). Research studies have shown that Basigin is overexpressed by many tumor cells, and its expression level may correlate with tumor malignancy (5,6). A recent study identified the BASIGIN gene as a regulatory target of Slug, suggesting a role for Basigin in the process of epithelial-mesenchymal transition (7). Basigin has also been identified as a marker for a subset of highly suppressive regulatory T cells (8), and as an obligate receptor for the malarial parasite Plasmodium falciparum on human erythrocytes (9).
- Biswas, C. et al. (1995) Cancer Res 55, 434-9.
- Liao, C.G. et al. (2011) Mol Cell Biol 31, 2591-604.
- Sweeny, L. et al. (2012) Exp Cell Res 318, 1788-98.
- Lescaille, G. et al. (2012) BMC Cancer 12, 115.
- Piao, S. et al. (2012) J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 138, 627-35.
- Bi, X.C. et al. (2011) Clin Invest Med 34, E358.
- Wu, J. et al. (2011) Oncogene 30, 4410-27.
- Solstad, T. et al. (2011) Blood 118, 5141-51.
- Crosnier, C. et al. (2011) Nature 480, 534-7.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.