Product Pathways - Lineage Markers
MyoD1 Antibody #12344
|W IP||H (Mk)||Endogenous||45||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
MyoD1 Antibody recognizes endogenous levels of total MyoD1 protein. This antibody also detects a 142 kDa protein of unknown origin.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Gly228 of human MyoD1 protein. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Myoblast determination protein 1 (MyoD1), also called myogenic factor 3 (Myf3), is a member of the MyoD family of musclespecific bHLH transcription factors (1). This family is responsible for controlling specification of the muscle cell lineage and is expressed only in skeletal muscle and its precursors. MyoD1 is considered a master regulator of skeletal myogenesis as its expression can induce myogenic differentiation in myoblasts, fibroblasts, and a variety of other cell types (2,3). Through ChIP-sequencing experiments, researchers have discovered that MyoD is associated with the promoters of many genes in muscle cells, but it only regulates a subset of those genes. Recent studies point to regulation of MyoD transcriptional activity via epigenetic mechanisms involving SWI/SNF complexes and Polycomb and Trithorax Group proteins (4-6). Additional influences on muscle development include signal transduction through MAPK, PI3K/Akt, myostatin, NF-κB, and mTOR signaling pathways (5-7).
- Berkes, C.A. and Tapscott, S.J. (2005) Semin Cell Dev Biol 16, 585-95.
- Tapscott, S.J. (2005) Development 132, 2685-95.
- Davis, R.L. et al. (1987) Cell 51, 987-1000.
- de la Serna, I.L. et al. (2001) Nat Genet 27, 187-90.
- Aziz, A. et al. (2010) Epigenetics 5, 691-5.
- Guttridge, D.C. (2004) Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 7, 443-50.
- Ge, Y. and Chen, J. (2012) J Biol Chem, Epub ahead of print.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.