Product Pathways - Metabolism
CYP11A1 Antibody #12491
|12491S||100 µl (10 western blots)||---||In Stock||---|
|12491||carrier free and custom formulation / quantity||email request|
Already purchased this product? Write a Review.
|W||1:1000||Human, Mouse, Rat||Endogenous||50||Rabbit|
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot.
Applications Key: W=Western Blotting, IP=Immunoprecipitation
Specificity / Sensitivity
CYP11A1 Antibody recognizes endogenous levels of total CYP11A1 protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues near the amino terminus of human CYP11A1 protein. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from NCI-H295R cells and various tissues using CYP11A1 Antibody.
Westen blot analysis of extracts from 293T cells, mock transfected (-) or transfected with a construct expressing Myc/DDK-tagged full-length human CYP11A1 (hCYP11A1-Myc/DDK; +), using CYP11A1 Antibody.
Immunoprecipitation of CYP11A1 from NCI-H295R cell extracts, using Normal Rabbit IgG #2729 (lane 2) or CYP11A1 Antibody (lane 3). Lane 1 is 10% input. Western blot analysis was performed using CYP11A1 Antibody.
Steroid hormones, including mineralocorticoids, glucocorticoids, and sex steroids, control the balance of ions in the blood; metabolism of carbohydrates, lipids, and proteins; and sexual characteristics, respectively. In steroidogenic tissues, such as the adrenal cortex, testis, ovary, and placenta, all steroids are synthesized from the common precursor cholesterol. Two families of steroidogenic enzymes, cytochrome P450 enzymes (CYP) and hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (HSD), catalyze the production of most steroids. All six distinct steroid hydroxylases are cytochrome P450 enzymes encoded by the steroidogenic CYP gene family (1). The cytochrome P450scc (cholesterol side-chain cleavage enzyme) encoded by CYP11A1 catalyzes the first step in steroidogenesis, conversion of cholesterol into pregnenolone, and thus controls the rate of synthesis of all steroid hormones (2).
CYP11A1, located in the inner membrane of mitochondria, cooperates with two coenzymes, ferredoxin and ferredoxin reductase, to carry out three successive oxidation-reduction reactions of cholesterol through an electron transport chain using NADPH as an electron donor (3-5). Like all CYPs, CYP11A1 expression is increased by the cAMP-PKA pathway (6) and the transcription factor SF1/NR5A1 has been shown to play a central role in mediating the cAMP signal on the CYP11A1 promoter (7). Defects in CYP11A1 are the cause of adrenal insufficiency congenital with 46, XY sex reversal (AICSR), which is a rare disorder that can present as acute adrenal insufficiency in infancy or childhood (8,9).
- Nelson, D.R. et al. (1993) DNA Cell Biol 12, 1-51.
- Richards, J.S. et al. (1987) Recent Prog Horm Res 43, 231-76.
- Hanukoglu, I. and Jefcoate, C.R. (1980) J Biol Chem 255, 3057-61.
- Hanukoglu, I. et al. (1981) J Biol Chem 256, 4329-35.
- Hanukoglu, I. et al. (1981) J Biol Chem 256, 4321-8.
- Hu, M.C. et al. (1991) Biochem J 274 ( Pt 3), 813-7.
- Watanabe, N. et al. (1994) Eur J Biochem 222, 825-34.
- Tajima, T. et al. (2001) J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86, 3820-5.
- Katsumata, N. et al. (2002) J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87, 3808-13.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 8449 StAR (D10H12) XP® Rabbit mAb
- 8795 STF-1 Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 9999 Nonfat Dry Milk
- 9863 Protein A Agarose Beads
- 2729 Normal Rabbit IgG
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.
Cell Signaling Technology® is a trademark of Cell Signaling Technology, Inc.