Product Pathways - Neuroscience
NGF Antibody #2046
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
NGF Antibody detects recombinant NGF protein. It does not cross-react with other proteins.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Thr146 of human NGF.
Nerve growth factor (NGF) is a small, secreted protein and member of the neurotrophin family of growth factors that promote neuronal cell survival and differentiation (1). Producing cells release NGF that bind and activate TrkA high affinity receptors to mediate NGF-driven signaling. NGF also binds to a low affinity p75 (NTR) receptors, which belong to the death receptor family (2). Although NGF has been classically described as favoring neuron survival and differentiation, nerve growth factor can promote apoptosis in cells that contain p75 (NTR) and lack TrkA. NGF can induce neuron death in a variety of neurodegenerative conditions, including Alzheimer disease (3). Besides its neurotrophic actions, NGF has an effect on non-neuronal cells and may help mediate inflammation, angiogenesis, and stimulate breast cancer cell growth (4-6). NGF signaling is looking increasingly promising as potential drug targets for diseases.
- Lessmann, V. et al. (2003) Prog Neurobiol 69, 341-74.
- Neet, K.E. and Campenot, R.B. (2001) Cell Mol Life Sci 58, 1021-35.
- Lorigados-Pedre, L. and Bergado-Rosado, J. (2004) Rev Neurol 38, 957-71.
- Frossard, N. et al. (2004) Eur J Pharmacol 500, 453-65.
- Nico, B. et al. (2008) Microvasc Res 75, 135-41.
- Descamps, S. et al. (2001) J Biol Chem 276, 17864-70.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 9141 Phospho-TrkA (Tyr490) Antibody
- 4619 Phospho-TrkA (Tyr490)/TrkB (Tyr516) (C35G9) Rabbit mAb
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.