Product Pathways - Ca / cAMP / Lipid Signaling
PKCδ Antibody #2058
|W IP||H M R Mk||Endogenous||78||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
PKCδ Antibody detects endogenous levels of total PKCδ protein. The antibody does not cross-react with endogenous levels of other PKC isoforms.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to human PKCδ. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of Baculovirus expressed PKC isoforms, demonstrating the isoform-specificity of PKCδ Antibody.
Activation of protein kinase C (PKC) is one of the earliest events in a cascade that controls a variety of cellular responses, including secretion, gene expression, proliferation, and muscle contraction (1,2). PKC isoforms belong to three groups based on calcium dependency and activators. Classical PKCs are calcium-dependent via their C2 domains and are activated by phosphatidylserine (PS), diacylglycerol (DAG), and phorbol esters (TPA, PMA) through their cysteine-rich C1 domains. Both novel and atypical PKCs are calcium-independent, but only novel PKCs are activated by PS, DAG, and phorbol esters (3-5). Members of these three PKC groups contain a pseudo-substrate or autoinhibitory domain that binds to substrate-binding sites in the catalytic domain to prevent activation in the absence of cofactors or activators. Control of PKC activity is regulated through three distinct phosphorylation events. Phosphorylation occurs in vivo at Thr500 in the activation loop, at Thr641 through autophosphorylation, and at the carboxy-terminal hydrophobic site Ser660 (2). Atypical PKC isoforms lack hydrophobic region phosphorylation, which correlates with the presence of glutamic acid rather than the serine or threonine residues found in more typical PKC isoforms. The enzyme PDK1 or a close relative is responsible for PKC activation. A recent addition to the PKC superfamily is PKCμ (PKD), which is regulated by DAG and TPA through its C1 domain. PKD is distinguished by the presence of a PH domain and by its unique substrate recognition and Golgi localization (6). PKC-related kinases (PRK) lack the C1 domain and do not respond to DAG or phorbol esters. Phosphatidylinositol lipids activate PRKs, and small Rho-family GTPases bind to the homology region 1 (HR1) to regulate PRK kinase activity (7).
Phosphorylatioin of tyrosine residues in PKCdelta are suggested to play a role in determining its functional properties. Phosphorylated tyrosine residues have been identified in the catalytic domain, regulatory domain, and the hinge of PKCdelta (8). While no clear designation of regulatory specificity has been deciphered based on phosphorylated tyrosine patterns, these various phosphorylations have been shown to decrease PKCdelta protein level, increase kinase activity or increase selectivity of substrate specificity (8-10).
- Nishizuka, Y. (1984) Nature 308, 693-698.
- Keranen, L.M. et al. (1995) Curr. Biol. 5, 1394-1403.
- Mellor, H. and Parker, P.J. (1998) Biochem J. 332 (Pt 2), 281-292.
- Ron, D. and Kazanietz, M.G. (1999) FASEB J. 13, 1658-1676.
- Moscat, J. and Diaz-Meco, M.T. (2000) EMBO Rep. 1, 399-403.
- Baron, C.L. and Malhotra, V. (2002) Science 295, 325-328.
- Flynn, P. et al. (2000) J. Biol. Chem. 275, 11064-11070.
- Steinberg, S.F. (2004) Biochem J 384, 449-59.
- Blake, R.A. et al. (1999) Cell Growth Differ 10, 231-41.
- Konishi, H. et al. (2001) Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98, 6587-92.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 9374 Phospho-PKCδ (Thr505) Antibody
- 9376 Phospho-PKCδ/θ (Ser643/676) Antibody
- 9377 Phospho-PKCθ (Thr538) Antibody
- 9921 Phospho-PKC Antibody Sampler Kit
- 9371 Phospho-PKC (pan) (βII Ser660) Antibody
- 9372 PKCζ Antibody
- 9375 Phospho-PKCα/β II (Thr638/641) Antibody
- 9378 Phospho-PKCζ/λ (Thr410/403) Antibody
- 9379 Phospho-PKC (pan) (gamma Thr514) Antibody
- 2051 Phospho-PKD/PKCμ (Ser916) Antibody
- 2052 PKD/PKCμ Antibody
- 2054 Phospho-PKD/PKCμ (Ser744/748) Antibody
- 2056 PKCα Antibody
- 9960 PKC Isoform Antibody Sampler Kit
- 2261 Phospho-(Ser) PKC Substrate Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.