Product Pathways - Neuroscience
Mena Antibody #2075
|W||H M R||Endogenous||80, 88, 140||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Mena Antibody detects endogenous levels of total Mena protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide of human Mena. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Mena (mammalian enabled), EVL, and VASP are members of the Ena/VASP family, which is involved in controlling cell shape and cell movement by shielding actin filaments from capping proteins (1). Ena/VASP proteins have three specific domains: an amino-terminal EVH1 domain controlling protein localization; a central proline-rich domain mediating interactions with both SH3 and WW domain containing proteins, including profilin; and a carboxy-terminal domain causing tetramerization and binding to actin (2). Mena interacts with actin filaments at the growing ends localizing to lamellipodia and to tips of growth cone filopodia in neurons. Axons projecting from interhemispheric cortico-cortical neurons are misrouted in newborn, homozygous Mena knock-out mice (3). Mena is phosphorylated at Ser236 by PKA, thereby promoting filopodial formation and elongation in the growth cone (4).Three forms of Mena corresponding to 80, 88 and 140 kD are known. The 80 kD protein is broadly expressed in contrast to the 140 kD protein which is enriched in neural cell types. Alternative splicing produces these forms. The 88 kD protein is mainly found in embryonic cell types and is likely the result of post-translational modification. Expression of all three forms is completely eliminated in Mena homozygous mutant animals (1, 3).
- Gertler, F.B. et al. (1996) Cell 87, 227-39.
- Small, J.V. (2008) Nat Cell Biol 10, 118-20.
- Lanier, L.M. et al. (1999) Neuron 22, 313-25.
- Lebrand, C. et al. (2004) Neuron 42, 37-49.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 3111 Phospho-VASP (Ser157) Antibody
- 3114 Phospho-VASP (Ser239) Antibody
- 3132 VASP (9A2) Rabbit mAb
- 3237 Profilin-1 Antibody
- 4781 Phospho-PKA C (Thr197) Antibody
- 4782 PKA C-α Antibody
- 3813 Plexin A1 Antibody
- 9967 Actin Reorganization Antibody Sampler Kit
- 9997 Tris Buffered Saline with Tween 20 (TBST-10X)
- 9998 BSA
- 9999 Nonfat Dry Milk
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.