Product Pathways - Translational Control
eIF2α (L57A5) Mouse mAb #2103
|W IHC-P||H M R Mk||Endogenous||38||Mouse IgG2b|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
eIF2α (L57A5) Mouse mAb detects endogenous levels of total eIF2α protein.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with purified recombinant human eIF2α.
Western blot analysis of extracts from various cell types using eIF2α (L57A5) Mouse mAb.
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded human colon carcinoma using eIF2α (L57A5) Mouse mAb.
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded human lung carcinoma using eIF2α (L57A5) Mouse mAb.
Phosphorylation of the eukaryotic initiation factor 2 (eIF2) α subunit is a well-documented mechanism to downregulate protein synthesis under a variety of stress conditions. eIF2 binds GTP and Met-tRNAi and transfers Met-tRNA to the 40S subunit to form the 43S preinitiation complex (1,2). eIF2 promotes a new round of translation initiation by exchanging GDP for GTP, a reaction catalyzed by eIF2B (1,2). Kinases that are activated by viral infection (PKR), endoplasmic reticulum stress (PERK/PEK), amino acid deprivation (GCN2), or heme deficiency (HRI) can phosphorylate the α subunit of eIF2 (3,4). This phosphorylation stabilizes the eIF2-GDP-eIF2B complex and inhibits the turnover of eIF2B. Induction of PKR by IFN-γ and TNF-α induces potent phosphorylation of eIF2α at Ser51 (5,6).
- Kimball, S.R. (1999) Int. J. Biochem. Cell Biol. 31, 25-29.
- De Haro, C. et al. (1996) FASEB J. 10, 1378-1387.
- Kaufman, R.J. (1999) Genes Dev. 13, 1211-1233.
- Sheikh, M.S. and Fornace Jr., A.J. (1999) Oncogene 18, 6121-6128.
- Cheshire, J.L. et al. (1999) J. Biol. Chem. 274, 4801-4806.
- Zamanian-Daryoush, M. et al. (2000) Mol. Cell. Biol. 20, 1278-1290.
- Ito, N. et al. (2011) Lab Invest 91, 1584-95. Applications: Western Blotting
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 3597 Phospho-eIF2α (Ser51) (119A11) Rabbit mAb
- 9722 eIF2α Antibody
- 9721 Phospho-eIF2α (Ser51) Antibody
- 9918 Translational Control Antibody Sampler Kit
- 3595 eIF2B-ε Antibody
- 3302 GCN2 Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7072 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-mouse IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7076 Anti-mouse IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 9997 Tris Buffered Saline with Tween 20 (TBST-10X)
- 9998 BSA
- 9999 Nonfat Dry Milk
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.