Product Pathways - Translational Control
Phospho-Mnk1 (Thr197/202) Antibody #2111
|W||H M R Mk||Endogenous||50||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Phospho-Mnk1 (Thr197/202) Antibody detects endogenous levels of Mnk1 only when phosphorylated at threonines 197 and 202. The antibody also cross-reacts with phosphorylated Mnk2a and Mnk2b.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic phosphopeptide corresponding to residues surrounding Thr197 and Thr202 of mouse Mnk1. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) binds to the mRNA cap structure to mediate the initiation of translation (1,2). eIF4E interacts with eIF4G, a scaffold protein that promotes assembly of eIF4E and eIF4A into the eIF4F complex (2). eIF4B is thought to assist the eIF4F complex in translation initiation. Upon activation by mitogenic and/or stress stimuli mediated by Erk and p38 MAPK, Mnk1 phosphorylates eIF4E at Ser209 in vivo (3,4). Two Erk and p38 MAPK phosphorylation sites in mouse Mnk1 (Thr197 and Thr202) are essential for Mnk1 kinase activity (3). The carboxy-terminal region of eIF4G also contains serum-stimulated phosphorylation sites, including Ser1108, Ser1148, and Ser1192 (5). Phosphorylation at these sites is blocked by the PI3 kinase inhibitor LY294002 and by the FRAP/mTOR inhibitor rapamycin.
- Sonenberg, N. et al. (1978) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 75, 4843-4847.
- Gingras, A.C. et al. (1999) Annu. Rev. Biochem. 68, 913-963.
- Waskiewicz, A. et al. (1999) Mol. Cell. Biol. 19, 1871-1880.
- Pyronnet, S. et al. (1999) EMBO J. 18, 270-279.
- Raught, B. et al. (2000) EMBO J. 19, 434-444.
- Banerjee, S. et al. (2002) Murine coronavirus replication-induced p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase activation promotes interleukin-6 production and virus replication in cultured cells. J. Virol. 76, 5937-5948. Applications: Western Blotting
- Scheper, G. C. et al. (2003) The N and C Termini of the Splice Variants of the Human Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinase-Interacting Kinase Mnk2 determine Activity and Localization. Molecular And Cellular Biology 23 (16), 5692-5705. Applications: IC-IF Western Blotting
- Shenberger, J.S. et al. (2007) Int J Biochem Cell Biol 39, 1828-42. Applications: Western Blotting
- Chrestensen, C.A. et al. (2007) J Biol Chem 282, 4243-52. Applications: Western Blotting
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 2195 Mnk1 (C4C1) Rabbit mAb
- 9101 Phospho-p44/42 MAPK (Erk1/2) (Thr202/Tyr204) Antibody
- 9211 Phospho-p38 MAPK (Thr180/Tyr182) Antibody
- 2441 Phospho-eIF4G (Ser1108) Antibody
- 2498 eIF4G Antibody
- 9741 Phospho-eIF4E (Ser209) Antibody
- 9742 eIF4E Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.