Product Pathways - Apoptosis
Alpha-Fodrin Antibody #2122
Reactivity Key: H=Human
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Alpha-Fodrin Antibody detects endogenous levels of full length alpha-fodrin (240 kDa) and its large fragment (150 kDa) resulting from cleavage at aspartic acid 1185.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Asp1185 of human alpha-fodrin. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Fodrin (also named nonerythroid spectrin) is a universally expressed membrane-associated cytoskeletal protein consisting of alpha- and beta-subunits (1). This protein is important for maintaining normal membrane structure and supporting cell surface protein function (1). Alpha-fodrin is one of the primary targets cleaved by caspases during apoptosis. The full length 240 kDa protein can be cleaved at several sites within its sequence by activated caspases to yield amino-terminal 150 kDa, carboxy-terminal 120 kDa and 35 kDa major products (2-5). Cleavage of alpha-fodrin leads to membrane malfunction and cell shrinkage.
- Bennett, V. and Gilligan, D.M. (1993) Annu. Rev. Cell Biol. 9, 27-66.
- Vanags, D. M. et al. (1996) J. Biol. Chem. 271, 31075-31085.
- Cryns, V. L. et al. (1996) J. Biol. Chem. 271, 31277-31282.
- Wang, K. K. et al. (1998) J. Biol. Chem. 273, 22490-22497.
- Janicke, R. U. et al. (1998) J. Biol. Chem. 273, 15540-15545.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 2121 Cleaved α-Fodrin (Asp1185) Antibody
- 9501 Cleaved Caspase-9 (Asp330) Antibody (Human Specific)
- 9505 Cleaved Caspase-9 (Asp315) Antibody (Human Specific)
- 9541 Cleaved PARP (Asp214) Antibody (Human Specific)
- 9661 Cleaved Caspase-3 (Asp175) Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.