Product Pathways - Development
AFP Antibody #2137
|W IP||H M||Recombinant||70 kDa||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
AFP Antibody detects recombinant human and mouse AFP protein. The antibody can only immunoprecipitate human AFP.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to amino acids near the carboxy terminus of human AFP. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) is a 65 kDa glycoprotein found in the mammalian fetal liver, yolk sac, and GI tract. While AFP expression in adult cells is low, it is aberrantly expressed in adult liver cancer cells (1,2). The tumor suppressor gene p53 and β-catenin are both involved in the regulation of AFP expression. In normal adult cells, p53 binds to the repressor region of the AFP gene, thereby blocking transcription. Mutations in both p53 and β-catenin are associated with aberrant expression of AFP. Research studies have shown that elevated serum AFP levels are predictive of hepatocellular carcinoma (3).
- Meier, V. et al. (2006) Comp Hepatol 5, 2.
- Warnes, T.W. and Smith, A. (1987) Baillieres Clin Gastroenterol 1, 63-89.
- Peng, S.Y. et al. (2004) Int J Cancer 112, 44-50.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.