Product Pathways - Chromatin Regulation / Epigenetics
ESET (C1C12) Rabbit mAb #2196
|W IP IF-IC||H Mk||Endogenous||180||Rabbit IgG|
Reactivity Key: H=Human Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
ESET (C1C12) Rabbit mAb detects endogenous levels of total ESET protein. The antibody does not cross-react with other SET-domain containing histone methyltransferase proteins.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to the carboxy terminus of the human ESET protein.
Western blot analysis of cell lysates from MCF7 and 293 cells using ESET (C1C12) Rabbit mAb.
The Erg-associated protein with SET domain (ESET), also known as SET-domain, bifurcated 1 (SETDB1) protein, is a member of a family of histone lysine methyltransferases, each of which contains a conserved catalytic SET domain originally identified in Drosophila Su[var]3-9, Enhancer of zeste, and Trithorax proteins (1). ESET also contains tudor and methyl-CpG-binding domains, which may coordinate binding to methylated histones and methylated DNA, respectively (1). ESET methylates histone H3 Lys9, creating a transcriptionally repressive mark that facilitates gene silencing (1-3). However, unlike SUV39H histone H3 Lys9 methyltransferases, which function mainly in heterochromatin regions such as pericentric heterochromatin, ESET functions mainly in euchromatic regions to repress gene promoters (3). ESET interacts with a variety of proteins, including transcription factors (ERG), histone deacetylases (HDAC1/2), DNA methyltransferases (DNMT3A/B) and transcriptional co-repressors (mSin3A/B, MBD1, KAP-1, the ATFa-associated modulator mAM) (1-6). mAM forms a complex with ESET, stimulating its methyltransferase activity, specifically the conversion of di-methyl to tri-methyl histone H3 Lys9 (2). MBD1 recruits ESET to the CAF-1 complex to facilitate methylation of histone H3 Lys9 during replication-coupled chromatin assembly in S phase (5). DNMT3A recruits ESET to silenced promoters in cancer cells (7). ESET may play a role in the pathogenesis of Huntington's disease, since levels of ESET protein and tri-methyl histone H3 Lys9 are both increased in diseased brains (8).
- Yang, L. et al. (2002) Oncogene 21, 148-152.
- Wang, H. et al. (2003) Mol. Cell 12, 475-487.
- Schultz, D.C. et al. (2002) Genes Dev. 16, 919-932.
- Yang, L. et al. (2003) Biochem. J. 369, 651-657.
- Sarraf, S.A. and Stancheva, I. (2004) Mol. Cell 15, 595-605.
- Ichimura, T. et al. (2005) J. Biol. Chem. 280, 13928-13935.
- Li, H. et al. (2006) J. Biol. Chem. 281, 19489-19500.
- Ryu, H. et al. (2006) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103, 19176-19181.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 9715 Histone H3 Antibody
- 9753 Di-Methyl-Histone H3 (Lys9) Antibody
- 4069 Pan-Methyl-Histone H3 (Lys9) Antibody
- 9649 Acetyl-Histone H3 (Lys9) (C5B11) Rabbit mAb
- 9701 Phospho-Histone H3 (Ser10) Antibody
- 2623 HP1α/β (C7F11) Rabbit mAb
- 2613 HP1β Antibody
- 2619 HP1γ Antibody
- 3147 Ezh2 (AC22) Mouse mAb
- 4905 Ezh2 Antibody
- 2062 Histone Deacetylase 1 (HDAC1) Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.