Product Pathways - Apoptosis
Caspase-2 (C2) Mouse mAb #2224
|W||H||Endogenous||12, 14, 48||Mouse IgG1|
Reactivity Key: H=Human
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Caspase-2 (C2) Mouse mAb detects endogenous levels of procaspase-2 as well as its 14 and 12 kDa cleaved fragments.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to the carboxy-terminal portion of human caspase-2.
Caspase-2 (Nedd2/ICH-1) is a Class I caspase with a long prodomain necessary for nuclear localization. Upon activation of the apoptotic pathway, the procaspase is cleaved at Asp316, producing a 14 kDa fragment and a 32 kDa prodomain/large subunit. Subsequent processing at Asp152 and Asp330 produces an 18 kDa large subunit and a 12 kDa small fragment (1). Caspase-2 is the nuclear apoptotic respondent to cellular genotoxic stress or mitotic catastrophe. Activation occurs upon recruitment to a complex containing a p53-induced death domain protein, PIDD (2). This suggests caspase-2 can be a nuclear initiator caspase with a requirement for caspase-9 and caspase-3 activation in downstream apoptotic events (3, 4). In apoptotic pathways resulting from UV-induced DNA damage, processing of caspase-2 occurs downstream of mitochondrial dysfunction and of caspase-9 and caspase-3 activation, extending a possible role for caspase-2 as a parallel effector caspase (5).
- Li, H. et al. (1997) J. Biol. Chem 272, 21010-21017.
- Tinel, A. and Tschopp, J. (2004) Science 304, 843-846.
- Dirsch, V. M. et al. (2004) Oncogene 23, 1586-1593.
- Castedo, M. et al. (2004) Oncogene 23, 4362-4370.
- Paroni, G. et al. (2001) J. Biol. Chem. 276, 21907-21915.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 9665 Caspase-3 (8G10) Rabbit mAb
- 9494 Caspase-7 (C7) Mouse mAb (Human Specific)
- 7072 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-mouse IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7076 Anti-mouse IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.