Product Pathways - MAPK Signaling
FosB Antibody #2263
|W IP IF-IC||H M R||Endogenous||38 FosB2. 48 FosB.||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
This antibody detects endogenous levels of total FosB protein (both FosB and FosB2 isoforms). The antibody does not cross-react with other Fos proteins, including c-fos, FRA1 and FRA2.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to the sequence of human FosB. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HeLa cells serum-starved overnight and TPA-stimulated for 4 hours or NIH/3T3 cells serum-starved overnight and serum-stimulated for 4 hours, using FosB Antibody.
The Fos family of nuclear oncogenes includes c-Fos, FosB, Fos-related antigen 1 (FRA1), and Fos-related antigen 2 (FRA2) (1). While most Fos proteins exist as a single isoform, the FosB protein exists as two isoforms: full-length FosB and a shorter form, FosB2 (Delta FosB), that lacks the carboxy-terminal 101 amino acids (1-3). The expression of Fos proteins is rapidly and transiently induced by a variety of extracellular stimuli including growth factors, cytokines, neurotransmitters, polypeptide hormones, and stress. Fos proteins dimerize with Jun proteins (c-Jun, JunB, and JunD) to form Activator Protein-1 (AP-1), a transcription factor that binds to TRE/AP-1 elements and activates transcription. Fos and Jun proteins contain the leucine-zipper motif that mediates dimerization and an adjacent basic domain that binds to DNA. The various Fos/Jun heterodimers differ in their ability to transactivate AP-1 dependent genes. In addition to increased expression, phosphorylation of Fos proteins by Erk kinases in response to extracellular stimuli may further increase transcriptional activity (4-6). Phosphorylation of c-Fos at Ser32 and Thr232 by Erk5 increases protein stability and nuclear localization (5). Phosphorylation of FRA1 at Ser252 and Ser265 by Erk1/2 increases protein stability and leads to overexpression of FRA1 in cancer cells (6). Following growth factor stimulation, expression of FosB and c-Fos in quiescent fibroblasts is immediate, but very short-lived, with protein levels dissipating after several hours (7). FRA1 and FRA2 expression persists longer, and appreciable levels can be detected in asynchronously growing cells (8). Deregulated expression of c-Fos, FosB, or FRA2 can result in neoplastic cellular transformation; however, Delta FosB lacks the ability to transform cells (2,3).
- Tulchinsky, E. (2000) Histol. Histopathol. 15, 921-928.
- Dobrzanski, P. et al. (1991) Mol. Cell. Biol. 11, 5470-5478.
- Nakabeppu, Y. and Nathans, D. (1991) Cell 64, 751-759.
- Rosenberger, S.F. et al. (1999) J. Biol. Chem. 274, 1124-1130.
- Sasaki, T. et al. (2006) Mol. Cell 24, 63-75.
- Basbous, J. et al. (2007) Mol. Cell. Biol. 27, 3936-3950.
- Kovary, K. and Bravo, R. (1991) Mol. Cell. Biol. 11, 2451-2459.
- Kovary, K. and Bravo, R. (1992) Mol. Cell. Biol. 12, 5015-5023.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 2251 FosB (5G4) Rabbit mAb
- 9165 c-Jun (60A8) Rabbit mAb
- 9261 Phospho-c-Jun (Ser63) II Antibody
- 9164 Phospho-c-Jun (Ser73) Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.