Product Pathways - Ca / cAMP / Lipid Signaling
CFTR Antibody #2269
|W||H M R Mk||Endogenous||168||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
CFTR Antibody detects endogenous levels of total CFTR protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to amino acids near the amino terminus of human CFTR. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts of human airway epithelial cells, Calu-3 (expressing endogenous CFTR) and CFBE41o- (stably expressing WT-CFTR or deltaF508-CFTR), using CFTR Antibody. Kindly provided by Dr. Agnes Swiatecka-Urban and Dr. Bruce A. Stanton, Department of Physiology, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH.
CFTR (ABC35, ABCC7, CBAVD, CF, dj760C5.1, MRP7, TNR-CFTR) is a member of the ATP-binding cassette (ABC) transporter superfamily. Mutations in ABC genes have been linked to many diseases. CFTR is a plasma membrane cyclic AMP activated chloride channel that is expressed in the epithelial cells of the lung and several other organs (1,2). It mediates the secretion of Cl- and also regulates several channels including the epithelial sodium channel (ENaC), K+ channels , ATP release mechanisms, anion exchangers, sodium bicarbonate transporters and aquaporin water channels (3,4,5,6,7,8 9,10). Mutations in the CFTR gene cause cystic fibrosis, a disease that is characterized by exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, increase in sweat gland NaCl, male infertility and airway disease (1,2,11). Intracellular trafficking regulates the number of CFTR molecules at the cell surface, which in part regulates Cl- secretion. Deletion of phenylalanine 508 (deltaF508) is the most common mutation in CF patients. This mutation results in retention in the ER, where ER quality control mechanisms target the deltaF508 mutant to the proteosome for degradation (12-15). Therefore, disruption of CFTR trafficking leads to disregulation of Cl- secretion at the plasma membrane of epithelial cells.
- Bradbury, N.A. et al. (1999) Am. J. Physiol. 276, L659-L668.
- Bertrand, C.A. and Frizzell, R.A. (2003) Am. J. Physiol. Cell Physiol. 285, C1-C18.
- Ko, S.B. et al. (2004) Nat. Cell Biol. 6, 343-350.
- Ji, H.L. et al. (2000) J. Biol. Chem. 275, 27947-27956.
- Jiang, Q. et al. (2000) J. Biol. Chem. 275, 13266-13274.
- Stutts, M.J. et al. (1997) J. Biol. Chem. 272, 14037-14040.
- Cheung, K.H. et al. (2003) Biol. Reprod. 68, 1505-15010.
- Shumaker, H. et al. (1999) Am. J. Physiol. 276, C16-C25.
- Schwiebert, E.M. et al. (1999) Physiol. Rev. 79, S145-S166.
- Yoo, D. et al. (2004) J. Biol. Chem. 279, 6863-6873.
- Cohn, J.A. et al. (2005) Hum. Mutat. 26, 303-307.
- Gibson, R.L. et al. (2003) Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 168, 918-951.
- Boucher, R.C. (2004) Eur. Respir. J. 23, 146-158.
- Riordan, J.R. (2005) Annu. Rev. Physiol. 67, 701-718.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.