Product Pathways - Adhesion
γ-Catenin Antibody #2309
|2309S||100 µl (10 western blots)||---||In Stock||---|
|2309||carrier free and custom formulation / quantity||email request|
Already purchased this product? Write a Review.
|W||1:1000||Human, Mouse, Rat, Hamster, Monkey||Endogenous||83||Rabbit|
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot.
Applications Key: W=Western Blotting, IP=Immunoprecipitation, IHC-P=Immunohistochemistry (Paraffin), IF-IC=Immunofluorescence (Immunocytochemistry)
Specificity / Sensitivity
γ-Catenin Antibody detects endogenous levels ot total γ-catenin protein. The antibody does not cross-react with β-catenin.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to the carboxy terminus of human γ-catenin. Antibodies are purified using protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from 293, MCF-7 and C2C12 cells using γ-Catenin Antibody.
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded human breast carcioma using gamma-Catenin Antibody.
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded human colon carcioma using gamma-Catenin Antibody.
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded human lung carcinoma using gamma-Catenin Antibody.
Also known as plakoglobin, γ-catenin is a member of the Armadillo family of signaling molecules, which includes β-catenin and the Drosophila protein armadillo (1). This family of proteins is involved in Wnt signaling, which is important in embryonic development and in tumorigenesis (2-3). Although the two vertebrate proteins β- and γ-catenin display sequence homology, γ-catenin likely plays a role distinct from that of β-catenin (1, 4-6). γ-catenin localizes to desmosomes and adherens junctions, both sites of intercellular adhesion, and interacts with the cytoplasmic domains of classical and desmosomal cadherins. Interaction of γ- or β-catenin with α-catenin, desmoplakin and other junction proteins provides a link between intercellular junctions and the actin and intermediate filament cytoskeleton. Maintenance and/or modification of this link is vital for control of cell adhesion and migration (1). γ-catenin is modified by phosphorylation, affecting both adhesion and β-catenin dependent transcription (7), and by and O-glycosylation, affecting adhesion (8). Recent evidence suggests that γ-catenin regulates desmosomal adhesion in response to growth factor stimulation (9).
- Zhurinsky, J. et al. (2000) J. Cell Sci. 113 ( Pt 18), 3127-3139.
- Wodarz, A. and Nusse, R. (1998) Annu. Rev. Cell Dev. Biol. 14, 59-88.
- Polakis, P. (1999) Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 9, 15-21.
- Zhurinsky, J. et al. (2000) Mol. Cell Biol. 20, 4238-4252.
- Charpentier, E. et al. (2000) J. Cell Biol. 149, 503-520.
- Kolligs, F.T. et al. (2000) Genes Dev. 14, 1319-13131.
- Miravet, S. et al. (2003) Mol. Cell Biol. 23, 7391-7402.
- Hu, P. et al. (2006) J. Biol. Chem. 281, 12786-12791.
- Yin, T. et al. (2005) J. Biol. Chem. 280, 40355-40363.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 9562 β-Catenin Antibody
- 9564 Phospho-β-Catenin (Ser45) Antibody
- 9534 Acetyl-β-Catenin (Lys49) Antibody
- 9565 Phospho-β-Catenin (Thr41/Ser45) Antibody
- 9561 Phospho-β-Catenin (Ser33/37/Thr41) Antibody
- 3236 α-E-Catenin Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 9581 β-Catenin Antibody (Amino-terminal Antigen)
- 9587 β-Catenin Antibody (Carboxy-terminal Antigen)
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.
DRAQ5® is a registered trademark of Biostatus Limited.
Cell Signaling Technology® is a trademark of Cell Signaling Technology, Inc.