Product Pathways - Translational Control
S6 Ribosomal Protein (54D2) Mouse mAb #2317
|W IP IHC-P IF-IC F||H M R Mk Dm||Endogenous||32||Mouse IgG1|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Mk=Monkey Dm=D. melanogaster
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
S6 Ribosomal Protein (54D2) Mouse mAb detects endogenous levels of total S6 ribosomal protein independent of phosphorylation.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with a recombinant fusion protein corresponding to full-length human S6 ribosomal protein.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HeLa, NIH/3T3, PC12 and COS cells, using S6 Ribosomal Protein (54D2) Mouse mAb.
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded human breast carcinoma, showing cytoplasmic localization, using S6 Ribosomal Protein (54D2) Mouse mAb.
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded human colon carcinoma, using S6 Ribosomal Protein (54D2) Mouse mAb.
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded LNCaP cells, using S6 Ribosomal Protein (54D2) Mouse mAb.
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded human lung carcinoma, using S6 Ribosomal Protein (54D2) Mouse mAb.
Flow cytometric analysis of NIH/3T3 cells, using S6 Ribosomal Protein (54D2) Mouse mAb (blue) compared to a nonspecifc negative control antibody (red).
One way that growth factors and mitogens effectively promote sustained cell growth and proliferation is by upregulating mRNA translation (1,2). Growth factors and mitogens induce the activation of p70 S6 kinase and the subsequent phosphorylation of the S6 ribosomal protein. Phosphorylation of S6 ribosomal protein correlates with an increase in translation of mRNA transcripts that contain an oligopyrimidine tract in their 5' untranslated regions (2). These particular mRNA transcripts (5'TOP) encode proteins involved in cell cycle progression, as well as ribosomal proteins and elongation factors necessary for translation (2,3). Important S6 ribosomal protein phosphorylation sites include several residues (Ser235, Ser236, Ser240, and Ser244) located within a small, carboxy-terminal region of the S6 protein (4,5).
- Dufner, A. and Thomas, G. (1999) Exp. Cell Res. 253, 100-109.
- Peterson, R.T. and Schreiber, S.L. (1998) Curr. Biol. 8, R248-R250.
- Jefferies, H.B. et al. (1997) EMBO J. 16, 3693-3704.
- Ferrari, S. et al. (1991) J. Biol. Chem. 266, 22770-22775.
- Flotow, H. and Thomas, G. (1992) J. Biol. Chem. 267, 3074-3078.
- De Raedt, T. et al. (2011) Cancer Cell 20, 400-13. Applications: Western Blotting
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 4858 Phospho-S6 Ribosomal Protein (Ser235/236) (D57.2.2E) XP® Rabbit mAb
- 2211 Phospho-S6 Ribosomal Protein (Ser235/236) Antibody
- 2215 Phospho-S6 Ribosomal Protein (Ser240/244) Antibody
- 2217 S6 Ribosomal Protein (5G10) Rabbit mAb
- 9203 p70 S6 Kinase Control Cell Extracts
- 8101 SignalSlide® Phospho-Akt (Ser473) IHC Controls
- 8112 SignalStain® Antibody Diluent
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.