Product Pathways - Metabolism
AMPKα Antibody #2532
|W IP||H M R Hm Mk||Endogenous||62||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Hm=Hamster Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
AMPKalpha Antibody detects endogenous levels of AMPKα protein. The antibody detects both the α1 and α2 isoforms of the catalytic subunit, but it does not detect the regulatory β or γ subunits.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to the amino-terminal sequence of human AMPKα. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HEK293 cells, untreated or oligomycin-treated (0.5μM) for the indicated times, using AMPKα Antibody.
Western blot analysis of extracts from various cell lines using AMPK alpha Antibody
Immunprecipitation of AMPK from untreated 3T3 cell extracts using AMPK antibody (Lane 1). Lane 2: No antibody control. Lane 3: Input control.
AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) is highly conserved from yeast to plants and animals and plays a key role in the regulation of energy homeostasis (1). AMPK is a heterotrimeric complex composed of a catalytic α subunit and regulatory β and γ subunits, each of which is encoded by two or three distinct genes (α1, 2; β1, 2; γ1, 2, 3) (2). The kinase is activated by an elevated AMP/ATP ratio due to cellular and environmental stress, such as heat shock, hypoxia, and ischemia (1). The tumor suppressor LKB1, in association with accessory proteins STRAD and MO25, phosphorylates AMPKα at Thr172 in the activation loop, and this phosphorylation is required for AMPK activation (3-5). AMPKα is also phosphorylated at Thr258 and Ser485 (for α1; Ser491 for α2). The upstream kinase and the biological significance of these phosphorylation events have yet to be elucidated (6). The β1 subunit is post-translationally modified by myristoylation and multi-site phosphorylation including Ser24/25, Ser96, Ser101, Ser108, and Ser182 (6,7). Phosphorylation at Ser108 of the β1 subunit seems to be required for the activation of AMPK enzyme, while phosphorylation at Ser24/25 and Ser182 affects AMPK localization (7). Several mutations in AMPKγ subunits have been identified, most of which are located in the putative AMP/ATP binding sites (CBS or Bateman domains). Mutations at these sites lead to reduction of AMPK activity and cause glycogen accumulation in heart or skeletal muscle (1,2). Accumulating evidence indicates that AMPK not only regulates the metabolism of fatty acids and glycogen, but also modulates protein synthesis and cell growth through EF2 and TSC2/mTOR pathways, as well as blood flow via eNOS/nNOS (1).
- Hardie, D.G. (2004) J Cell Sci 117, 5479-87.
- Carling, D. (2004) Trends Biochem Sci 29, 18-24.
- Hawley, S.A. et al. (1996) J Biol Chem 271, 27879-87.
- Lizcano, J.M. et al. (2004) EMBO J 23, 833-43.
- Shaw, R.J. et al. (2004) Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101, 3329-35.
- Woods, A. et al. (2003) J Biol Chem 278, 28434-42.
- Warden, S.M. et al. (2001) Biochem J 354, 275-83.
- Morales-Alamo, D. et al. (2013) J Appl Physiol 114, 566-77. Applications: Western Blotting
- Morales-Alamo, D. et al. (2012) J Appl Physiol 113, 917-28. Applications: Western Blotting
- Lee, J.W. et al. (2010) PLoS One 5, e15394. Applications: Western Blotting
- Shaw, R. J. et al. (2004) The tumor suppressor LKB1 kinase directly activates AMP-activated kinase and regulates apoptosis in response to energy stress. PNAS 101 (10), 3329-3335. Applications: Western Blotting
- Zou, M. H. et al. (2002) Modultation by Peroxynitrite of Akt- and AMP-activated Kinase-dependant Ser1179 Phosphorylation of Endothelial Nitric Oxide Synthase. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 277 (36), 32552-32557. Applications: Western Blotting
- Ouchi, N. et al. (2004) Adiponectin Stimulates Angiogenesis by Promoting Cross-talk between AMP-activated Protein Kinase and Akt Signaling in Endothelial Cells. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 279 (2), 1304-1309. Applications: Western Blotting
- Zou, M. H. et al. (2003) Activation of 5'-AMP-activated Kinase Is Mediated through c-Src and Phosphoinositide 3-Kinase Activity during Hypoxia-Reoxygenation of Bovine Aortic Endothelial Cells. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 278 (36), 34003-34010. Applications: IP Western Blotting
- Pilon, G. et al. (2004) Inhibition of Inducible Nitric-oxide Synthase by Activators of AMP-activated Protein Kinase. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 279 (20), 20767-20774. Applications: Western Blotting
- Tzatsos, A. and Kandror, K.V. (2006) Mol Cell Biol 26, 63-76. Applications: Western Blotting
- Göransson, O. et al. (2007) J Biol Chem 282, 32549-60. Applications: Western Blotting
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 2793 AMPKα (F6) Mouse mAb
- 4188 Phospho-AMPKα (Thr172) (D79.5E) Rabbit mAb
- 2535 Phospho-AMPKα (Thr172) (40H9) Rabbit mAb
- 2531 Phospho-AMPKα (Thr172) Antibody
- 2603 AMPKα (23A3) Rabbit mAb
- 4184 Phospho-AMPKα1 (Ser485) Antibody
- 4185 Phospho-AMPKα1 (Ser485)/AMPKα2 (Ser491) Antibody
- 4181 Phospho-AMPKβ1 (Ser108) Antibody
- 2536 AMPKγ2 Antibody
- 4186 Phospho-AMPKβ1 (Ser182) Antibody
- 4187 AMPKγ1 Antibody
- 3661 Phospho-Acetyl-CoA Carboxylase (Ser79) Antibody
- 3662 Acetyl-CoA Carboxylase Antibody
- 9944 AICAR
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 4148 AMPKβ2 Antibody
- 3676 Acetyl-CoA Carboxylase (C83B10) Rabbit mAb
- 9158 AMPK Control Cell Extracts
- 9996 Oligomycin
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.