Product Pathways - Nuclear Receptor Signaling
RARα Antibody #2554
Reactivity Key: M=Mouse R=Rat
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
RARα Antibody detects endogenous levels of total RARα protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to the sequence of human RARα. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Retinoids (vitamin A and its active retinoic acid derivatives) are non-steroid hormones that regulate cell proliferation, differentiation and apoptosis. Retinoic acid receptors (RARalpha, -beta and -gamma) and retinoid X receptors (RXRalpha, -beta and -gamma) are nuclear receptors that function as RAR-RXR heterodimers or RXR homodimers (1-2). In response to retinoid binding, these dimers control gene expression by binding to specific retinoic acid response elements, by recruiting cofactors and the transcriptional machinery, and by indirectly regulating chromatin structure. Finally, ligand binding and phosphorylation of RARalpha by JNK at Thr181, Ser445 and Ser461 controls the stability of RAR-RXR through the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway (3-4). At least four distinct genetic lesions affect RARalpha and result in acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL). The t(15;17) translocation that results in the PML-RARalpha fusion protein is responsible for more than 99% of APL cases, and the fusion protein inhibits PML-dependent apoptotic pathways in a dominant negative fashion. In addition PML-RARalpha inhibits transcription of retinoic acid target genes by recruiting co-repressors, attenuating myeloid differentiation (5-6).
- Mangelsdorf, D. J. et al. (1995) Cell 83, 835-839.
- Mangelsdorf, D.J. and Evans, R.M. (1995) Cell 83, 841-850.
- Bastien, J. and Rochette-Egly, C. (2004) Gene 328, 1-16.
- Srinivas, H. et al. (2005) Mol. Cell. Biol. 25, 1054-1069.
- de The, H. et al. (1990) Nature 347, 558-561.
- Slack, J.L. and Rusiniak, M.E. (2000) Ann. Hematol. 79, 227-238.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 3202 Androgen Receptor Antibody
- 3172 Progesterone Receptor (6A1) Mouse mAb
- 9924 Phospho-Estrogen Receptor α Antibody Sampler Kit
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.