Product Pathways - Chromatin Regulation / Epigenetics
SirT6 Antibody #2590
Reactivity Key: H=Human
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
SirT6 Antibody detects endogenous levels of total SirT6 protein. This antibody does not cross-react with other sirtuin proteins.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to the carboxy terminus of the human SirT6 protein. Antibodies are purified by peptide affinity chromatography.
The Silent Information Regulator (Sir2) family of genes is a highly conserved group of genes that encode nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD)-dependent protein deacetylases, also known as class III histone deacetylases. The first discovered and best characterized of this family is Saccharomyces cerevisiae Sir2, which is involved in silencing of mating type loci, telomere maintenance, DNA damage response, and cell aging (1). SirT6, a mammalian homolog of Sir2, is a nuclear, chromatin-associated protein that promotes the normal maintenance of genome integrity mediated by the base excision repair (BER) pathway (2-4). The BER pathway repairs single-stranded DNA lesions that arise spontaneously from endogenous alkylation, oxidation, and deamination events. SirT6 deficient mice show increased sensitivity to DNA-damaging agents, including the alkylating agents MMS and H2O2 (2). In addition, these mice show genome instability with increased frequency of fragmented chromosomes, detached centromeres, and gaps (2). SirT6 may regulate the BER pathway by deacetylating DNA Polβ or other core components of the pathway (2).
- Guarente, L. (1999) Nat Genet 23, 281-5.
- Mostoslavsky, R. et al. (2006) Cell 124, 315-29.
- Liszt, G. et al. (2005) J Biol Chem 280, 21313-20.
- Michishita, E. et al. (2005) Mol Biol Cell 16, 4623-35.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 2493 SirT1 (D739) Antibody
- 2496 SirT1 (C14H4) Rabbit mAb
- 2327 Phospho-SirT1 (Ser27) Antibody
- 2314 Phospho-SirT1 (Ser47) Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.