Product Pathways - Chromatin Regulation / Epigenetics
HP1β Antibody #2613
|2613S||100 µl (10 western blots)||---||In Stock||---|
|2613||carrier free and custom formulation / quantity||email request|
Already purchased this product? Write a Review.
|W||1:1000||Human, Mouse, Rat, Monkey||Endogenous||25||Rabbit|
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot.
Applications Key: W=Western Blotting
Species predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology: Bovine.
Specificity / Sensitivity
This antibody detects endogenous levels of HP1 beta protein. The antibody does not cross-react with HP1 alpha or HP1 gamma proteins.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to the carboxy terminus of human HP1 beta. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Heterochromatin protein 1 (HP1) is a family of heterochromatic adaptor molecules involved in both gene silencing and higher order chromatin structure (1). All three HP1 family members (α, β, and γ) are primarily associated with centromeric heterochromatin; however, HP1β and γ also localize to euchromatic sites in the genome (2,3). HP1 proteins are approximately 25 kDa in size and contain a conserved amino-terminal chromodomain, followed by a variable hinge region and a conserved carboxy-terminal chromoshadow domain. The chromodomain facilitates binding to histone H3 tri-methylated at Lys9, a histone "mark" closely associated with centromeric heterochromatin (4,5). The variable hinge region binds both RNA and DNA in a sequence-independent manner (6). The chromoshadow domain mediates the dimerization of HP1 proteins, in addition to binding multiple proteins implicated in gene silencing and heterochromatin formation, including the SUV39H histone methyltransferase, the DNMT1 and DNMT3a DNA methyltransferases, and the p150 subunit of chromatin-assembly factor-1 (CAF1) (7-9). In addition to contributing to heterochromatin formation and propagation, HP1 and SUV39H are also found complexed with retinoblastoma (Rb) and E2F6 proteins, both of which function to repress euchromatic gene transcription in quiescent cells (10,11). HP1 proteins are subject to multiple types of post-translational modifications, including phosphorylation, acetylation, methylation, ubiquitination, and sumoylation, suggesting multiple means of regulation (12-14).
- Maison, C. and Almouzni, G. (2004) Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 5, 296-304.
- Minc, E. et al. (2000) Cytogenet. Cell Genet. 90, 279-284.
- Nielsen, A.L. et al. (2001) Mol. Cell 7, 729-739.
- Lachner, M. et al. (2001) Nature 410, 116-120.
- Bannister, A.J. et al. (2001) Nature 410, 120-124.
- Muchardt, C. et al. (2002) EMBO Rep. 3, 975-981.
- Yamamoto, K. and Sonoda, M. (2003) Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 301, 287-292.
- Fuks, F. et al. (2003) Nucleic Acids Res. 31, 2305-2312.
- Murzina, N. et al. (1999) Mol. Cell 4, 529-540.
- Nielsen, S.J. et al. (2001) Nature 412, 561-565.
- Ogawa, H. et al. (2002) Science 296, 1132-1136.
- Minc, E. et al. (1999) Chromosoma 108, 220-234.
- Zhao, T. et al. (2001) J. Biol. Chem. 276, 9512-9518.
- Lomberk, G. et al. (2006) Nat. Cell Biol. 8, 407-415.
- Canudas, S. et al. (2011) Genes Dev 25, 1807-19. Applications: Western Blotting.
- Dawson, M.A. et al. (2009) Nature 461, 819-22. Applications: Western Blotting.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 9309 Rb (4H1) Mouse mAb
- 2062 Histone Deacetylase 1 (HDAC1) Antibody
- 9715 Histone H3 Antibody
- 9706 Phospho-Histone H3 (Ser10) (6G3) Mouse mAb
- 9701 Phospho-Histone H3 (Ser10) Antibody
- 9711 Acetyl- and Phospho-Histone H3 (Lys9/Ser10) Antibody
- 9671 Acetyl-Histone H3 (Lys9) Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 2616 HP1α Antibody
- 2619 HP1γ Antibody
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.
Cell Signaling Technology® is a trademark of Cell Signaling Technology, Inc.