Product Pathways - Neuroscience
p35/25 (C64B10) Rabbit mAb #2680
|W IP IHC-P IF-F||H M R||Endogenous||25, 35||Rabbit IgG|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
p35/25 (C64B10) Rabbit mAb detects endogenous levels of total p35 protein. The antibody also detects endogenous p25 resulting from calpain-mediated cleavage upon neurotoxic insult.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide from the carboxy terminus of human p35.
Western blot analysis of extracts from mouse brain, rat brain and human cerebellum using p35/p25 (C64B10) Rabbit mAb.
Western blot analysis of extracts from mouse and rat brain and wild-type mouse and p35 knock-out mouse brain using p35/25 (C64B10) Rabbit mAb (upper) and CDK5 Antibody #2506 (lower). Matching wild-type and p35 knock-out mouse brain was kindly provided by Dr. Li-Huei Tsai, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA.
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin embedded human meningioma using p35/25 (C64B10) Rabbit mAb #2680.
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded human astrocytoma using p35/25 (C64B10) Rabbit mAb #2680 in the presence of control peptide (left) or antigen specific peptide (right).
Confocal immunofluorescent analysis of cerebellum from normal (left) or p35 knockout (right) mice using p35/25 (C64B10) Rabbit mAb (green). Blue pseudocolor =DRAQ5® #4084 (fluorescent DNA dye). Matching wild-type and p35 knock-out mouse brain was kindly provided by Dr. Li-Huei Tsai, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA.
Cyclin-dependent kinases (CDKs) are serine/threonine kinases that are activated by cyclins and govern eukaryotic cell cycle progression. While CDK5 shares high sequence homology with its family members, it is thought mainly to function in postmitotic neurons, regulating the cytoarchitecture of these cells. Analogous to cyclins, p35 and p39 associate with and activate CDK5 despite the lack of sequence homology. CDK5 is ubiquitously expressed, but high levels of kinase activity are detected primarily in the nervous system due to the narrow expression pattern of p35 and p39 in post-mitotic neurons. A large number of CDK5 substrates have been identified although no discrete substrates have been attributed as a function of p35 vs. p39. Amongst many, substrates of CDK5 include p35 and p39. p35 is rapidly degraded (T1/2 <20 min) by the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway (1). However, p35 stability increases as CDK5 kinase activity decreases, and this is likely a result of decreased phosphorylation of p35 at Thr138 by CDK5 (2). NGF activates Erk and EGR1, and induces p35 expression in PC12 cells (3). Proteolytic cleavage of p35 by calpain produces p25 upon neurotoxic insult, resulting in prolonged activation of CDK5 by p25. Accumulation of p25 is found in neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's disease and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) (4-5).
- Dhavan, R. and Tsai, L.H. (2001) Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 2, 749-759.
- Patrick, G.N. et al. (1998) J. Biol. Chem. 273, 24057-24064.
- Harada, T. et al. (2001) Nat. Cell Biol. 3, 453-459.
- Lee, M.S. et al. (2000) Nature 405, 360-364.
- Kusakawa, G. et al. (2000) J. Biol. Chem. 275, 17166-17172.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 2556 Calpain 1 Large Subunit (Mu-type) Antibody
- 2539 Calpain 2 Large Subunit (M-type) Antibody
- 2450 APP/β-Amyloid (NAB228) Mouse mAb
- 2452 APP Antibody
- 2454 β-Amyloid Antibody
- 4019 Tau (Tau46) Mouse mAb
- 4153 EGR1 (15F7) Rabbit mAb
- 4154 EGR1 (44D5) Rabbit mAb
- 9911 Phospho-Erk1/2 Pathway Sampler Kit
- 8112 SignalStain® Antibody Diluent
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 8114 SignalStain® Boost IHC Detection Reagent (HRP, Rabbit)
- 5425 Normal Goat Serum
- 9997 Tris Buffered Saline with Tween 20 (TBST-10X)
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.