Product Pathways - DNA Damage
MGMT Antibody #2739
Reactivity Key: H=Human Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
MGMT Antibody detects endogenous levels of total MGMT protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to amino acids near the amino terminus of human MGMT. Antibodies are purified by peptide affinity chromatography.
MGMT (O-6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase) is a DNA repair enzyme that participates in a suicide reaction that specifically removes methyl or alkyl groups from the O(6) position of guanine, restoring guanine to its normal form without causing DNA breaks (1). MGMT protects cells from alkylating toxins, and is an important factor in drug resistance to alkylating therapeutic agents (2,3). It is ubiquitously expressed in normal human tissues (4) and is overexpressed in many types of human tumors, but epigenetically silenced in other tumors. MGMT silencing is a marker associated with poor prognosis, but is a good predictive marker for response to alkylating agent chemotherapy (5).
- Pegg, A.E. (2000) Mutat. Res. 462, 83-100.
- Bobola, M.S. et al. (2005) Clin. Cancer Res. 11, 2747-2755.
- Pollack, I.F. et al. (2006) J. Clin. Oncol. 24, 3431-3437.
- Gerson, S.L. et al. (1986) Carcinogenesis 7, 745-749.
- Soejima, H. et al. (2005) Biochem. Cell Biol. 83, 429-437.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 2056 PKCα Antibody
- 4890 UBE1a Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.