Product Pathways - DNA Damage
BLM Antibody #2742
Reactivity Key: H=Human
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
BLM Antibody detects endogenous levels of total BLM protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues near the amino terminus of human BLM. Antibodies are purified by peptide affinity chromatography.
BLM, a member of the RecQ family of DNA helicases, is part of the BRCA1-associated genome surveillance complex (BASC) that responds to DNA damage, stalled replication forks and S phase arrest (1-4). Phosphorylation of BLM helicase at Thr99 and Thr122 occurs in response to genotoxic stress (4), and phosphorylation of Ser144 appears to be important in regulating chromosome stability during mitosis (5). Typical BLM protein resides in the nucleus and forms part of a dynamic protein complex that acts in response to DNA damage during specific periods of the cell cycle (6). Although RecQ helicases are rarely considered as essential enzymes, they function at the interface between DNA recombination and repair and are required for global genome stability maintenance. Mutations in BLM helicase are responsible for development of Bloom Syndrome, a recessive genetic disorder clinically characterized by short stature, immunodeficiency and elevated risk of malignancy (7). Similar alterations to genes encoding the related RecQ helicases RecQ4 and WRN also result in recessive genetic disorders associated with genomic instability (8,9). Cells from Bloom Syndrome patients exhibit genomic instability and increased frequency of sister chromatid exchange (10).
- Wang, Y. et al. (2000) Genes Dev. 14, 927-939.
- Langland, G. et al. (2002) Cancer Res. 62, 2766-2770.
- Sengupta, S. et al. (2003) EMBO J. 22, 1210-1222.
- Davies, S.L. et al. (2004) Mol. Cell. Biol. 24, 1279-1291.
- Leng, M. et al. (2006) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103, 11485-11490.
- Bischof, O. et al. (2001) J. Cell Biol. 153, 367-380.
- van Brabant, A.J. et al. (2000) Annu. Rev. Genomics Hum. Genet. 1, 409-459.
- Kitao, S. et al. (1999) Nat. Genet. 22, 82-84.
- Yu, C.E. et al. (1996) Science 272, 258-262.
- Chaganti, R.S. et al. (1974) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 71, 4508-4512.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 2814 RecQ4 Antibody
- 3255 TTK Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.