Product Pathways - Neuroscience
SOD1 Antibody #2770
Reactivity Key: H=Human
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
SOD1 Antibody detects endogenous levels of total SOD1 protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues near the amino- terminus of human SOD1. Antibodies were purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HeLa, MCF7 and T47D cell lines, using SOD1 Antibody.
SOD1, Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase, is a major antioxidant enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of superoxide anion to hydrogen peroxide and molecular oxygen (1). SOD1 is ubiquitously expressed and is localized in the cytosol, nucleus and mitochondrial intermembrane space. The SOD1 gene locus is on chromosome 21 in a region affected in Down Syndrome (2). In addition, over 100 distinct SOD1 inherited mutations have been identified in the familial form of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), a progressive degenerative disease of motor neurons (3-5). Despite the fact that SOD1 helps to eliminate toxic reactive species, its mutations in ALS have been described as gain-of-function (5). The mechanism by which mutant SOD1 induces the neurodegeneration observed in ALS is still unclear. Mutant SOD1 proteins become misfolded and consequently oligomerize into high molecular weight species that aggregate and end up in proteinaceous inclusions (5).
- McCord, J.M. and Fridovich, I. (1988) Free Radic Biol Med 5, 363-9.
- Sherman, L. et al. (1983) Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 80, 5465-9.
- Rosen, D.R. et al. (1993) Nature 362, 59-62.
- Deng, H.X. et al. (1993) Science 261, 1047-51.
- Valentine, J.S. and Hart, P.J. (2003) Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100, 3617-22.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.