Product Pathways - Apoptosis
Bim Antibody #2819
|2819S||100 µl (10 western blots)||---||In Stock||---|
|2819||carrier free and custom formulation / quantity||email request|
Already purchased this product? Write a Review.
|W||1:1000||Human, Mouse, Rat||Endogenous||23, 15, 12||Rabbit|
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot.
Applications Key: W=Western Blotting, IP=Immunoprecipitation, IF-IC=Immunofluorescence (Immunocytochemistry), F=Flow Cytometry
Species predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology: Monkey.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Bim Antibody detects endogenous levels of total Bim (EL, L and S isoforms) protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues near the amino terminus of human Bim. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from MOLT-4, A20, Raji, 293 and MCF-7 cell lines using Bim Antibody.
Flow cytometric analysis of Raji cells using Bim Antibody (blue) compared to a nonspecific negative control antibody (red).
Confocal immunofluorescent analysis of HeLa cells using Bim Antibody (green). Actin filaments have been labeled with Alexa Fluor® 555 phalloidin (red). Blue pseudocolor = DRAQ5® #4084 (fluorescent DNA dye).
Bim/Bod is a pro-apoptotic protein belonging to the BH3-only group of Bcl-2 family members including Bad, Bid, Bik, Hrk, and Noxa that contain a BH3 domain but lack other conserved BH1 or BH2 domains (1,2). Bim induces apoptosis by binding to and antagonizing anti-apoptotic members of the Bcl-2 family. Interactions have been observed with Bcl-2, Bcl-xL, Mcl-1, Bcl-w, Bfl-1, and BHRF-1 (1,2). Bim functions in regulating apoptosis associated with thymocyte negative selection and following growth factor withdrawal, during which Bim expression is elevated (3-6). Three major isoforms of Bim are generated by alternative splicing: BimEL, BimL, and BimS (1). The shortest form, BimS, is the most cytotoxic and is generally only transiently expressed during apoptosis. The BimEL and BimL isoforms may be sequestered to the dynein motor complex through an interaction with the dynein light chain and released from this complex during apoptosis (7). Apoptotic activity of these longer isoforms may be regulated by phosphorylation (8,9). Environmental stress triggers Bim phosphorylation by JNK and results in its dissociation from the dynein complex and increased apoptotic activity.
- O'Connor, L. et al. (1998) EMBO J 17, 384-95.
- Hsu, S.Y. et al. (1998) Mol Endocrinol 12, 1432-40.
- Bouillet, P. et al. (2002) Nature 415, 922-6.
- Whitfield, J. et al. (2001) Neuron 29, 629-43.
- Dijkers, P.F. et al. (2000) Curr Biol 10, 1201-4.
- Ley, R. et al. (2003) J Biol Chem 278, 18811-6.
- Puthalakath, H. et al. (1999) Mol Cell 3, 287-96.
- Lei, K. and Davis, R.J. (2003) Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100, 2432-7.
- Putcha, G.V. et al. (2003) Neuron 38, 899-914.
- Widenmaier, S.B. et al. (2009) J Biol Chem 284, 30372-82. Applications: Western Blotting.
- Kurtulus, S. et al. (2011) J Immunol 186, 5729-37. Applications: Flow Cytometry.
- Choi, P.S. et al. (2011) Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108, 17432-7. Applications: Western Blotting.
- Weisberg, E. et al. (2011) PLoS One 6, e25351. Applications: Western Blotting.
- Faber, A. et al. (2011) Cancer Discov 1, 352-365. Applications: Western Blotting.
- Tagoug, I. et al. (2011) PLoS One 6, e22641. Applications: Western Blotting.
- Jane, E.P. et al. (2011) Mol Cancer Ther 10, 198-208. Applications: Western Blotting.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 9942 Pro-Apoptosis Bcl-2 Family Antibody Sampler Kit
- 6461 SignalSilence® Bim siRNA I
- 2876 Bcl-2 Antibody
- 2772 Bax Antibody
- 4976 Puma Antibody
- 9292 Bad Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.
DRAQ5® is a registered trademark of Biostatus Limited.
Alexa Fluor® is a registered trademark of Molecular Probes, Inc.
Cell Signaling Technology® is a trademark of Cell Signaling Technology, Inc.