Product Pathways - Cell Cycle / Checkpoint
p21 Waf1/Cip1 (12D1) Rabbit mAb #2947
|W IP IHC-P IF-IC F||H Mk (Dg)||Endogenous||21||Rabbit IgG|
Reactivity Key: H=Human Mk=Monkey Dg=Dog
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
p21 Waf1/Cip1 (12D1) Rabbit mAb detects endogenous levels of total p21 protein. The antibody does not cross-react with other CDK inhibitors.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues near the carboxy-terminus of human p21.
Western blot analysis of extracts from various cell types using p21 Waf1/Cip1 (12D1) Rabbit mAb.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HeLa cells, transfected with 100 nM SignalSilence® Control siRNA (Fluorescein Conjugate) #6201 (-) or SignalSilence® p21 Waf1/Cip1 siRNA II (+), using p21 Waf1/Cip1 (12D1) Rabbit mAb #2947 and α-Tubulin (11H10) Rabbit mAb #2125. The p21 Waf1/Cip1 (12D1) Rabbit mAb confirms silencing of p21 Waf1/Cip1 expression and α-Tubulin (11H10) Rabbit mAb is used to control for loading and specificity of p21 Waf1/Cip1 siRNA.
Immunoprecipitation of p21 from human umbillical vein endothelial cells (HUVECs) using p21 Waf1/Cip1 (12D1) Rabbit mAb. Western blot detection was performed using the same antibody.
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded human breast carcinoma using p21 Waf1/Cip1 (12D1) Rabbit mAb in the presence of control peptide (left) or antigen-specific peptide (right).
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded HeLa cells, transfected with SignalSilence® Control siRNA (Unconjugated) #6568 (left) or SignalSilence® p21 Waf1/Cip1 siRNA II #6558 (right), using p21 Waf1/Cip1 (12D1) Rabbit mAb.
Flow cytometric analysis of HeLa cells (red) and MCF7 cells (blue), using p21 Waf1/Cip1 (12D1) Rabbit mAb.
The tumor suppressor protein p21 Waf1/Cip1 acts as an inhibitor of cell cycle progression. It functions in stoichiometric relationships forming heterotrimeric complexes with cyclins and cyclin-dependent kinases. In association with CDK2 complexes, it serves to inhibit kinase activity and block progression through G1/S (1). However, p21 may also enhance assembly and activity in complexes of CDK4 or CDK6 and cyclin D (2). The carboxy-terminal region of p21 is sufficient to bind and inhibit PCNA, a subunit of DNA polymerase, and may coordinate DNA replication with cell cycle progression (3). Upon UV damage or during cell cycle stages when cdc2/cyclin B or CDK2/cyclin A are active, p53 is phosphorylated and upregulates p21 transcription via a p53-responsive element (4). Protein levels of p21 are downregulated through ubiquitination and proteasomal degradation (5).
- Pestell, R.G. et al. (1999) Endocrine Rev. 20, 501-534.
- Cheng, J. et al. (1999) EMBO J. 18, 1571-1583.
- Flores-Rozas, H. et al. (1994) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 91, 8655-8659.
- Wang, Y. and Prives, C. (1995) Nature 376, 88-91.
- Sheaff, R.J. et al. (2000) Cell 5, 403-410.
- Kong, B. et al. (2010) Oncogene 29, 5146-58. Applications: Western Blotting
- Chew, Y.C. et al. (2011) J Biol Chem 286, 28772-82. Applications: IF-IC (In Cells) Western Blotting
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 1055 p21 Waf1/Cip1 Blocking Peptide
- 8112 SignalStain® Antibody Diluent
- 8114 SignalStain® Boost IHC Detection Reagent (HRP, Rabbit)
- 5425 Normal Goat Serum
- 9997 Tris Buffered Saline with Tween 20 (TBST-10X)
Rabbit Monoclonals Produced Using Epitomics® Technology, U.S. Patent No. 5,675,063.
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.