Product Pathways - Translational Control
mTOR Antibody #2972
|W IP||H M R Mk (Pg) (Hr)||Endogenous||289||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Mk=Monkey Pg=Pig Hr=Horse
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
mTOR Antibody detects endogenous levels of total mTOR. It cross-reacts weakly with some other proteins based on Western analysis.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Ser2481 of human mTOR. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from 293 cells (starved for 16 hours), untreated or EGF-treated (100 ng/ml), using Phospho-mTOR (Ser2448) antibody #2971 (upper) or mTOR Antibody (lower).
Western blot analysis of extracts from HeLa cells, transfected with either control siRNA (-) or mTOR siRNA (+). mTOR was detected using mTOR Antibody #2972, and eIF4B was detected using eIF4B Antibody #3592. The mTOR Antibody confirms silencing of mTOR expression, and the eIF4B Antibody is used to control for loading and siRNA specificity.
The mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR, FRAP, RAFT) is a Ser/Thr protein kinase (1-3) that functions as an ATP and amino acid sensor to balance nutrient availability and cell growth (4,5). When sufficient nutrients are available, mTOR responds to a phosphatidic acid-mediated signal to transmit a positive signal to p70 S6 kinase and participate in the inactivation of the eIF4E inhibitor, 4E-BP1 (6). These events result in the translation of specific mRNA subpopulations. mTOR is phosphorylated at Ser2448 via the PI3 kinase/Akt signaling pathway and autophosphorylated at Ser2481 (7,8). mTOR plays a key role in cell growth and homeostasis and may be abnormally regulated in tumors. For these reasons, mTOR is currently under investigation as a potential target for anti-cancer therapy (9).
- Sabers, C.J. et al. (1995) J Biol Chem 270, 815-22.
- Brown, E.J. et al. (1994) Nature 369, 756-8.
- Sabatini, D.M. et al. (1994) Cell 78, 35-43.
- Gingras, A.C. et al. (2001) Genes Dev 15, 807-26.
- Dennis, P.B. et al. (2001) Science 294, 1102-5.
- Fang, Y. et al. (2001) Science 294, 1942-5.
- Navé, B.T. et al. (1999) Biochem J 344 Pt 2, 427-31.
- Peterson, R.T. et al. (2000) J Biol Chem 275, 7416-23.
- Huang, S. and Houghton, P.J. (2003) Curr Opin Pharmacol 3, 371-7.
- Suzuki, A. et al. (2004) ARK5 is a tumor invasion-associated factor downstream of Akt signaling. Mol. Cell. Biol. 24, 3526-3535. Applications: Western Blotting
- Takahara, T. et al. (2006) J Biol Chem 281, 28605-14. Applications: Western Blotting
- Hosokawa, N. et al. (2009) Mol Biol Cell 20, 1981-91. Applications: Western Blotting
- Shavlakadze, T. et al. (2010) J Cell Sci , . Applications: Western Blotting
- Chen, C.H. et al. (2011) Sci Signal 4, ra10. Applications: Western Blotting
- Lee, J.W. et al. (2010) PLoS One 5, e15394. Applications: Western Blotting
- Fei, Z. et al. (2011) J Biol Chem 286, 27761-8. Applications: Western Blotting
- Gao, D. et al. (2011) Mol Cell 44, 290-303. Applications: Western Blotting
- Izumi, N. et al. (2012) Cancer Sci 103, 50-7. Applications: Western Blotting
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 5536 Phospho-mTOR (Ser2448) (D9C2) XP® Rabbit mAb
- 2983 mTOR (7C10) Rabbit mAb
- 4517 mTOR (L27D4) Mouse mAb
- 2971 Phospho-mTOR (Ser2448) Antibody
- 2974 Phospho-mTOR (Ser2481) Antibody
- 2976 Phospho-mTOR (Ser2448) (49F9) Rabbit mAb (IHC Specific)
- 9904 Rapamycin
- 2280 Raptor (24C12) Rabbit mAb
- 3274 GβL (86B8) Rabbit mAb
- 2691 PRAS40 (D23C7) XP® Rabbit mAb
- 2114 Rictor (53A2) Rabbit mAb
- 9644 4E-BP1 (53H11) Rabbit mAb
- 9205 Phospho-p70 S6 Kinase (Thr389) Antibody
- 2211 Phospho-S6 Ribosomal Protein (Ser235/236) Antibody
- 9964 mTOR Pathway Antibody Sampler Kit
- 9862 mTOR Substrates Antibody Sampler Kit
- 9864 mTOR Regulation Antibody Sampler Kit
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.