Product Pathways - Chromatin Regulation / Epigenetics
SET8 (C18B7) Rabbit mAb #2996
|W IF-IC||H M R Mk (B) (Pg) (Hr)||Endogenous||43, 50||Rabbit IgG|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Mk=Monkey B=Bovine Pg=Pig Hr=Horse
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
SET8 (C18B7) Rabbit mAb detects endogenous levels of total SET8 protein (both isoforms).
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to human SET8 protein. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HCT116 and RAW cells using SET8 (C18B7) Rabbit mAb.
Confocal immunofluorescent analysis of HeLa cells, untreated (left) or treated with 0.5% Triton X-100 for 10 minutes prior to fixation according to Tardat et al. (2007) J. Cell Biol. 179, 1413-26 (right), using SET8 (C18B7) Rabbit mAb (green). Actin filaments have been labeled with DY-554 phalloidin (red). Blue pseudocolor = DRAQ5™ (fluorescent DNA dye).
SET domain-containing lysine methyltransferase 8 (SET8), also known as PR/SET domain-containing protein 7 (PR/SET7), is a member of a family of histone lysine methyltransferases, each of which contains a conserved catalytic SET domain originally identified in Drosophila Su[var]3-9, Enhancer of zeste, and Trithorax proteins (1-3). SET8 is a single-subunit enzyme that mono-methylates histone H4 on Lys20, preferably on nucleosomal substrates (1-3). SET8 protein levels and Histone H4 Lys20 methylation are cell cycle regulated, both increasing in S phase and peaking at G2/M phase (4,5). SET8 interacts with the PCNA protein, associates with sites of active DNA synthesis and is required for DNA replication and genome stability during S phase (5-7). Inhibition of SET8 using shRNA results in arrest of replication forks, induction of double-stranded DNA breaks and a Chk1-mediated cell-cycle arrest in S and G2/M phases of the cell cycle (6,7). Furthermore, SET8 methylates p53 on Lys382, down regulating the pro-apoptotic and checkpoint activation functions of p53 (8). In response to DNA damage, SET8 expression levels decrease, allowing p53 to activate checkpoints and/or apoptosis (8). Both the methylation of histone H4 Lys20 and p53 appear to be important for the functions of SET8 in S phase.
- Fang, J. et al. (2002) Curr Biol 12, 1086-99.
- Xiao, B. et al. (2005) Genes Dev 19, 1444-54.
- Couture, J.F. et al. (2005) Genes Dev 19, 1455-65.
- Rice, J.C. et al. (2002) Genes Dev 16, 2225-30.
- Huen, M.S. et al. (2008) J Biol Chem 283, 11073-7.
- Tardat, M. et al. (2007) J Cell Biol 179, 1413-26.
- Jørgensen, S. et al. (2007) J Cell Biol 179, 1337-45.
- Shi, X. et al. (2007) Mol Cell 27, 636-46.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 3306 G9a/EHMT2 (C6H3) Rabbit mAb
- 3147 Ezh2 (AC22) Mouse mAb
- 2813 SET7/SET9 Antibody
- 2196 ESET (C1C12) Rabbit mAb
- 2586 PCNA (PC10) Mouse mAb
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.