Product Pathways - Metabolism
PKM1/2 (C5E6) Rabbit mAb #3106
|W IP||H M R||Endogenous||60||Rabbit IgG|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
PKM1/2 (C5E6) Rabbit mAb detects endogenous levels of total PKM1 and PKM2 proteins.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to the sequence of human PKM1.
Western blot analysis of extracts from various cell types using PKM1/2 (C5E6) Rabbit mAb.
Pyruvate kinase, a glycolytic enzyme, catalyses the conversion of phosphoenolpyruvate to pyruvate. In mammals, the M1 isoform (PKM1) is expressed in most adult tissues (1). The M2 isoform (PKM2), an alternatively-spliced variant of M1, is expressed during embryonic development (1). Studies found that cancer cells exclusively express PKM2 (1-3). PKM2 is shown to be essential for aerobic glycolysis in tumors (Warburg effect) (1). When the M2 isoform is switched to the M1 isoform, aerobic glycolysis is reduced and oxidative phosphorylation is increased in cancer cells (1). These cells also show decreased tumorigenicity in mouse xenografts (1). Recent studies show that the oncogenic forms of FGFR1 directly phosphorylate Tyr105 of PKM2 and thereby inhibit the formation of active tetrameric PKM2 (4). A PKM2 mutant found in cancer cells, in which Tyr105 is replaced by phenylalanine, leads to reduced cell proliferation in hypoxia and tumor growth in xenografts in nude mice (4). These findings suggest that the phosphorylation at Tyr105 is a critical switch for the metabolism in cancer cells that promotes tumor growth (4).
- Christofk, H.R. et al. (2008) Nature 452, 230-3.
- Mazurek, S. et al. (2005) Semin Cancer Biol 15, 300-8.
- Dombrauckas, J.D. et al. (2005) Biochemistry 44, 9417-29.
- Hitosugi, T. et al. (2009) Sci Signal 2, ra73.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 3190 PKM1/2 (C103A3) Rabbit mAb
- 3186 PKM1/2 Antibody
- 3198 PKM2 Antibody
- 2804 Hexokinase I Antibody
- 2867 Hexokinase II (C64G5) Rabbit mAb
- 2106 Hexokinase II Antibody
- 2012 LDHA Antibody
- 3188 Aldolase A Antibody
- 2118 GAPDH (14C10) Rabbit mAb
- 2784 Pyruvate Dehydrogenase Antibody
- 4017 α-Amylase Antibody
- 9997 Tris Buffered Saline with Tween 20 (TBST-10X)
- 9998 BSA
- 9999 Nonfat Dry Milk
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.