Product Pathways - Metabolism
Fatty Acid Synthase Antibody #3189
|3189S||100 µl (10 western blots)||---||In Stock||---|
|3189||carrier free and custom formulation / quantity||email request|
Already purchased this product? Write a Review.
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot.
Applications Key: W=Western Blotting
Specificity / Sensitivity
Fatty Acid Synthase Antibody detects endogenous levels of total fatty acid synthase protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide around Ala1160 corresponding to a sequence of mouse fatty acid synthase. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Fatty acid synthase (FASN) catalyzes the synthesis of long-chain fatty acids from acetyl-CoA and malonyl-CoA. FASN is active as a homodimer with seven different catalytic activities and produces lipids in the liver for export to metabolically active tissues or storage in adipose tissue. In most other human tissues, FASN is minimally expressed since they rely on circulating fatty acids for new structural lipid synthesis (1).
According to the research literature, increased expression of FASN has emerged as a phenotype common to most human carcinomas. For example in breast cancer, immunohistochemical staining showed that the levels of FASN are directly related to the size of breast tumors (2). Research studies also showed that FASN is highly expressed in lung and prostate cancers and that FASN expression is an indicator of poor prognosis in breast and prostate cancer (3-5). Furthermore, inhibition of FASN is selectively cytotoxic to human cancer cells (5). Thus, increased interest has focused on FASN as a potential target for the diagnosis and treatment of cancer as well as metabolic syndrome (6,7).
- Katsurada, A. et al. (1990) Eur J Biochem 190, 427-33.
- Wells, W.A. et al. (2006) Breast Cancer Res Treat 98, 231-40.
- Kawamura, T. et al. (2005) Pathobiology 72, 233-240.
- Shah, U.S. et al. (2006) Hum Pathol 37, 401-409.
- Kuhajda, F.P. (2000) Nutrition 16, 202-8.
- Tian, W.X. (2006) Curr Med Chem 13, 967-977.
- Kusunoki, J. et al. (2006) Endocrine 29, 91-100.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 3180 Fatty Acid Synthase (C20G5) Rabbit mAb
- 2138 ATGL Antibody
- 4139 Phospho-HSL (Ser563) Antibody
- 4137 Phospho-HSL (Ser565) Antibody
- 4126 Phospho-HSL (Ser660) Antibody
- 2283 SCD1 (R347) Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.
Cell Signaling Technology® is a trademark of Cell Signaling Technology, Inc.