Product Pathways - TGF-beta/Smad Signaling
Mic-1 (L300) Antibody #3209
|W||H (Mk)||Endogenous||35, 13||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Mic-1 (L300) Antibody detects endogenous levels of total Mic-1 protein including its active processed form.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues near the carboxyl terminus of human Mic-1. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HT-1080 cells, untreated or treated with TPA, TNF-α or TGF-β (6 hrs), using Mic-1 (L300) Antibody.
Macrophage inhibitory cytokine-1 (Mic-1), also termed GDF15 (1), PTGF-β (2), PLAB (3), PDF (4), and NAG-1 (5), is a divergent member of the transforming growth factor-β (TGF-β) superfamily (6). Like other family members, Mic-1 is synthesized as an inactive precursor that undergoes proteolytic processing involving removal of an N-terminal hydrophobic signal sequence followed by cleavage at a conserved RXXR site generating an active C-terminal domain that is secreted as a dimeric protein. Mic-1 is highly expressed in the placenta and is also dramatically increased by cellular stress, acute injury, inflammation, and cancer. In the brain, Mic-1 is found in the choroid plexus and is secreted into the cerebrospinal fluid (7). It is also a transcriptional target of the p53 tumor suppressor protein and may serve as a biomarker for p53 activity (8,9). During tumor progression, Mic-1 has various effects on apoptosis, differentiation, angiogenisis, and metastasis, and may also contribute to weight loss during cancer (10,11).
- Strelau, J. et al. (2000) J Neurosci 20, 8597-603.
- Yokoyama-Kobayashi, M. et al. (1997) J Biochem 122, 622-6.
- Hromas, R. et al. (1997) Biochim Biophys Acta 1354, 40-4.
- Paralkar, V.M. et al. (1998) J Biol Chem 273, 13760-7.
- Baek, S.J. et al. (2001) J Biol Chem 276, 33384-92.
- Bootcov, M.R. et al. (1997) Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94, 11514-9.
- Strelau, J. et al. (2000) J Neural Transm Suppl , 273-6.
- Kannan, K. et al. (2000) FEBS Lett 470, 77-82.
- Yang, H. et al. (2003) Mol Cancer Ther 2, 1023-9.
- Johnen, H. et al. (2007) Nat Med 13, 1333-40.
- Bauskin, A.R. et al. (2006) Cancer Res 66, 4983-6.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 3249 Mic-1 (Y60) Antibody
- 3709 TGF-β (56E4) Rabbit mAb
- 3711 TGF-β Antibody
- 4693 BMP7 Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.