Product Pathways - Translational Control
eIF3J Antibody #3261
|W IP||H M R||Endogenous||35||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
eIF3J Antibody detects endogenous levels of total eIF3J protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to the sequence of human eIF3J. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Translation initiation requires a set of factors to facilitate the association of the 40S ribosomal subunit with mRNA. The eIF4F complex, consisting of eIF4E, eIF4A, and eIF4G, binds to the 5' cap structure of mRNA. eIF4F and eIF4B unwind the secondary structure of mRNA at its 5' untranslated region. The 40S ribosomal subunit, along with some initiation factors including eIF3, then binds to the 5' mRNA cap and searches along the mRNA for the initiation codon. eIF3 is a large translation initiation complex with 10 to 13 different subunits. eIF3A, eIF3B, eIF3C, eIF3E, eIF3F, and eIF3H are the core subunits critical for the function of this complex. eIF3 physically interacts with eIF4G, which may be responsible for the association of the 40S ribosomal subunit with mRNA (1). eIF3 also stabilizes the binding of Met-tRNAf.eIF2.GTP to the 40S ribosomal subunit and helps keep the integrity of the resulting complex upon addition of the 60S ribosomal subunit (2). Studies have shown that mTOR interacts with eIF3 directly (3,4). When cells are stimulated by hormones or mitogenic signals, mTOR binds to the eIF3 complex and phosphorylates S6K1 (3). This process results in the dissociation of S6K1 from eIF3 and S6K1 activation. The activated S6K1 then phosphorylates its downstream targets including ribosomal protein S6 and eIF4B, resulting in stimulation of translation. Further findings demonstrated that activated mTOR signaling induces the association of eIF3 with eIF4G upon stimulation with insulin (3).
One of the smallest subunits of eIF3, eIF3J, is critical in 40S initiation complex assembly (5). eIF3J has been shown to associate with the aminoacyl site and mRNA entry channel of the 40S ribosomal subunit (6). eIF3J has also been shown to have an additional role in the recycling of post-termination complexes (7).
- Masutani, M. et al. (2007) EMBO J 26, 3373-83.
- Chaudhuri, J. et al. (1999) J Biol Chem 274, 17975-80.
- Holz, M.K. et al. (2005) Cell 123, 569-80.
- Harris, T.E. et al. (2006) EMBO J 25, 1659-68.
- Fraser, C.S. et al. (2004) J Biol Chem 279, 8946-56.
- Fraser, C.S. et al. (2007) Mol Cell 26, 811-9.
- Pisarev, A.V. et al. (2007) Cell 131, 286-99.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 4763 Translation Initiation Complex Antibody Sampler Kit
- 2538 eIF3A Antibody
- 2068 eIF3C Antibody
- 3597 Phospho-eIF2α (Ser51) (119A11) Rabbit mAb
- 9721 Phospho-eIF2α (Ser51) Antibody
- 2103 eIF2α (L57A5) Mouse mAb
- 9722 eIF2α Antibody
- 3595 eIF2B-ε Antibody
- 2013 eIF4A (C32B4) Rabbit mAb
- 2425 eIF4A (F52) Antibody
- 2490 eIF4A1 Antibody
- 3591 Phospho-eIF4B (Ser422) Antibody
- 3592 eIF4B Antibody
- 9741 Phospho-eIF4E (Ser209) Antibody
- 2067 eIF4E (C46H6) Rabbit mAb
- 9742 eIF4E Antibody
- 2441 Phospho-eIF4G (Ser1108) Antibody
- 2469 eIF4G (C45A4) Rabbit mAb
- 2617 eIF4G (C65H5) Rabbit mAb
- 2498 eIF4G Antibody
- 2858 eIF4GI Antibody
- 2444 eIF4H Antibody
- 2480 eIF5 Antibody
- 3263 eIF6 Antibody
- 9997 Tris Buffered Saline with Tween 20 (TBST-10X)
- 9998 BSA
- 9999 Nonfat Dry Milk
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.