Product Pathways - Ca / cAMP / Lipid Signaling
5-Lipoxygenase (C49G1) Rabbit mAb #3289
|W IP IHC-P||H (M) (R) (Mk)||Endogenous||78||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
5-Lipoxygenase (C49G1) Rabbit mAb detects endogenous levels of total 5-lipoxygenase protein. Expression of 5-Lipoxygenasae is very low in most tissues and cell lines, excepting whole blood, bone marrow, lung and macrophage cell lines.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Ile168 of human 5-lipoxygenase protein.
Western blot analysis of extracts from human RL cells using 5-Lipoxygenase (49G1) Rabbit mAb.
Western blot analysis of extracts from COS cells transfected with 5-LO using 5-Lipoxygenase (49G1) Rabbit mAb.
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, using 5-Lipoxygenase (C49G1) Rabbit mAb in the presence of control peptide (left) or antigen specific peptide (right).
5-Lipoxygenase (5-LO, ALOX5) is an important catalytic enzyme responsible for the biosynthesis of leukotriene LTA4 from arachidonic acid (1,2). Leukotriene synthesis also requires 5-lipoxygenase-activating protein (FLAP, ALOX5AP), a nuclear membrane-bound protein that binds arachidonic acid and is thought to activate 5-LO. A number of related leukotrienes (i.e. B4, C4, D4) are derived from LTA4 and together these lipid mediators function in immune reaction regulation. 5-LO is primarily expressed in polymorphonuclear leukocytes, peripheral blood monocytes, macrophages, and mast cells (1,3). Overexpression of 5-LO protein is seen in certain cancer cells and is associated with poor diagnosis (1,4). Depending upon the cell type, 5-LO is localized to either the cytosol or the nucleus of quiescent cells (5). Following stimulation, 5-LO translocates to the nucleus and associates with FLAP to catalyze LTA4 synthesis (2,3). Phosphorylation of specific residues can regulate 5-LO enzymatic activity. Phosphorylation of 5-LO at Ser523 by PKA family kinases inhibits oxygenase activity (6,7) while MAPKAP2 and ERK family kinase phosphorylation at Ser271 and Ser663 stimulates 5-LO enzymatic activity in vivo (8,9).
- Woods, J.W. et al. (1995) J Clin Invest 95, 2035-46.
- Evans, J.F. et al. (2008) Trends Pharmacol Sci 29, 72-8.
- Radmark, O. et al. (2007) Trends Biochem Sci 32, 332-41.
- Chen, X. et al. (2006) Curr Cancer Drug Targets 6, 613-22.
- Werz, O. (2002) Curr Drug Targets Inflamm Allergy 1, 23-44.
- Luo, M. et al. (2004) J Biol Chem 279, 41512-20.
- Luo, M. et al. (2005) J Biol Chem 280, 40609-16.
- Werz, O. et al. (2002) FASEB J 16, 1441-3.
- Werz, O. et al. (2002) J Biol Chem 277, 14793-800.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 8112 SignalStain® Antibody Diluent
- 8114 SignalStain® Boost IHC Detection Reagent (HRP, Rabbit)
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 7075 Anti-biotin, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 5425 Normal Goat Serum
- 9997 Tris Buffered Saline with Tween 20 (TBST-10X)
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.