Product Pathways - Protein Translation
GCN2 Antibody #3302
|3302S||100 µl (10 western blots)||---||In Stock||---|
|3302||carrier free and custom formulation / quantity||email request|
Already purchased this product? Write a Review.
|W||1:1000||Human, Mouse, Rat, Monkey||Endogenous||220||Rabbit|
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot.
Applications Key: W=Western Blotting, IP=Immunoprecipitation
Specificity / Sensitivity
GCN2 Antibody detects endogenous levels of GCN2 protein independent of phosphorylation.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to sequence near the amino terminus of human GCN2. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Phosphorylation of the alpha subunit of eukaryotic initiation factor 2 is a well documented mechanism of downregulating protein synthesis under a variety of stress conditions. Kinases activated by viral infection (PKR), endoplasmic reticulum stress (PERK/PEK), amino acid deprivation (GCN2) and hemin deficiency (HRI) can phosphorylate the alpha subunit of eIF2 (1,2). GCN2 is also required for UV-light induced translation inhibition, and in vivo phosphorylation of murine GCN2 at Thr898 is induced by both UV irradiation and by leucine deprivation (3). UV-induced activation of NF-kappaB also requires GCN2, which may act simply by preventing translation of IkappaB-alpha to replace pools that have been ubiquitinated and degraded (4). Interestingly, proteasome inhibitors (MG132 and ALLN) activate the GCN2/eIF2alpha pathway, suggesting a pivotal role for this kinase in stress response and ubiquitin-mediated signaling (5). In vitro autophosphorylation of yeast GCN2 within its activation loop at Thr882 and Thr887 (Thr898 and Thr903 in mouse) has also been reported (6).
- Kaufman, R.J. (1999) Genes Dev. 13, 1211-1233.
- Sheikh, M.S. and Fornace, A.J. (1999) Oncogene 18, 6121-6128.
- Deng, J. et al. (2002) Curr. Biol. 12, 1279-1286.
- Jiang, H.Y. and Wek, R.C. (2005) Biochem. J. 385, 371-380.
- Jiang, H.Y. and Wek, R.C. (2005) J. Biol. Chem. XXX, XXX-XXX.
- Garcia-Barrio, M. et al. (2002) J. Biol. Chem. 277, 30675-30683.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 9721 Phospho-eIF2α (Ser51) Antibody
- 9722 eIF2α Antibody
- 3597 Phospho-eIF2α (Ser51) (119A11) Rabbit mAb
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.
Cell Signaling Technology® is a trademark of Cell Signaling Technology, Inc.