Product Pathways - Chromatin Regulation / Epigenetics
G9a/EHMT2 (C6H3) Rabbit mAb #3306
|W IF-IC||H M R Mk (B) (Pg) (Hr)||Endogenous||140, 165||Rabbit IgG|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Mk=Monkey B=Bovine Pg=Pig Hr=Horse
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
G9a/EHMT2 (C6H3) Rabbit mAb detects endogenous levels of total G9a/EHMT2 protein (both the 165 kDa G9a-L and 140 kDa G9a-S isoforms). This antibody does not cross-react with other histone methyltransferases, including GLP.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to the carboxy terminus of the human G9a/EHMT2 protein.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HeLa and 293 cells using G9a/EHMT2 (C6H3) Rabbit mAb.
G9a, also known as Euchromatic histone-lysine N-methyltransferase 2 (EHMT2), is a member of a family of histone lysine methyltransferases, each of which contains a conserved catalytic SET domain originally identified in Drosophila Su[var]3-9, Enhancer of zeste, and Trithorax proteins (1). Recombinant G9a can mono-, di- and tri-methylate histone H3 on Lys9 and Lys27 in vitro (1,2). However, in vivo G9a forms a complex with GLP, a G9a-related histone methyltransferase, and together these proteins function as the major euchromatic histone H3 Lys9 mono- and di-methyltransferases, creating transcriptionally repressive marks that facilitate gene silencing (3,4). G9a methylates itself on Lys165, a modification that regulates the association of HP1 repressor proteins with the G9a/GLP complex (5). The G9a/GLP complex also contains Wiz, a zinc finger protein that is required for G9a/GLP hetero-dimerization and complex stability (6). Wiz contains two CtBP co-repressor binding sites, which mediate the association of the G9a/GLP with the CtBP co-repressor complex (6). In addition, G9a and GLP are components of other large transcriptional co-repressor complexes, such as those involving E2F6 and CDP/cut (7-9). G9a interacts with DNMT1, and both proteins are required for methylation of DNA and histone H3 (Lys9) at replication foci, providing a functional link between histone H3 Lys9 and CpG methylation during DNA replication (10). G9a activity is critical for meiotic prophase progression, as mutant mice deficient in germ line G9a show a large loss of mature gametes (11). In addition, G9a facilitates increased global levels of di-methyl histone H3 (Lys9) during hypoxic stress and increased G9a expression is associated with hepatocelluar carcinoma (12,13).
- Tachibana, M. et al. (2001) J Biol Chem 276, 25309-17.
- Patnaik, D. et al. (2004) J Biol Chem 279, 53248-58.
- Tachibana, M. et al. (2002) Genes Dev 16, 1779-91.
- Tachibana, M. et al. (2005) Genes Dev 19, 815-26.
- Sampath, S.C. et al. (2007) Mol Cell 27, 596-608.
- Ueda, J. et al. (2006) J Biol Chem 281, 20120-8.
- Ogawa, H. et al. (2002) Science 296, 1132-6.
- Shi, Y. et al. (2003) Nature 422, 735-8.
- Nishio, H. and Walsh, M.J. (2004) Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101, 11257-62.
- Estève, P.O. et al. (2006) Genes Dev 20, 3089-103.
- Tachibana, M. et al. (2007) EMBO J 26, 3346-59.
- Kondo, Y. et al. (2007) Hepatol Res 37, 974-83.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 9753 Di-Methyl-Histone H3 (Lys9) Antibody
- 4069 Pan-Methyl-Histone H3 (Lys9) Antibody
- 9715 Histone H3 Antibody
- 2616 HP1α Antibody
- 2613 HP1β Antibody
- 2619 HP1γ Antibody
- 2813 SET7/SET9 Antibody
- 2196 ESET (C1C12) Rabbit mAb
- 4905 Ezh2 Antibody
- 2139 LSD1 Antibody
- 2621 JMJD1B/JHDM2B Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.