Product Pathways - Protein Stability
Cathepsin B (G60) Antibody #3373
Reactivity Key: H=Human
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Cathepsin B (G60) Antibody detects endogenous levels of total human cathepsin B protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Gly60 of human cathepsin B. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from secreted protein from HL-60 cells, untreated or treated overnight with TPA #9905 (20 nM), using Cathepsin B (G60) Antibody.
Cathepsin B (CSTB), part of the papain family of proteases, is a widely expressed lysosomal cysteine endopeptidase (1,2). Like other family members, cathepsin B is produced from a larger precursor form, pro-cathepsin B, which in its glycosylated form runs at approximately 40 kDa on SDS-PAGE, and is then activated by cleavage of a 62-amino acid pro-peptide. High levels of cathepsin B are found in macrophages and osteoclasts, as well as various types of cancer cells, including lung, colon, prostate, breast, and stomach. In addition, expression of cathepsin B has been associated with multiple sclerosis (3), rheumatoid arthritis (4), and pancreatitis (5). While generally localized to lysosomes, in cancer alterations can lead to its secretion (6). Its role in tumor progression is thought to involve promotion of basement membrane degradation, invasion and metastasis (7,8). Expression can correlate with poor prognosis for a variety of forms of cancer (9-13).
- Chan, S.J. et al. (1986) Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 83, 7721-5.
- Fong, D. et al. (1986) Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 83, 2909-13.
- Bever, C.T. et al. (1994) Neurology 44, 745-8.
- Hashimoto, Y. et al. (2001) Biochem Biophys Res Commun 283, 334-9.
- Halangk, W. et al. (2000) J Clin Invest 106, 773-81.
- Berquin, I.M. and Sloane, B.F. (1996) Adv Exp Med Biol 389, 281-94.
- Yan, S. et al. (1998) Biol Chem 379, 113-23.
- Vasiljeva, O. et al. (2006) Cancer Res 66, 5242-50.
- Campo, E. et al. (1994) Am J Pathol 145, 301-9.
- Foekens, J.A. et al. (1998) J Clin Oncol 16, 1013-21.
- Werle, B. et al. (1999) Br J Cancer 81, 510-9.
- Lah, T.T. et al. (2000) Clin Cancer Res 6, 578-84.
- Werle, B. et al. (2000) Cancer 89, 2282-91.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 2284 Cathepsin D Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.