Product Pathways - Chromatin Regulation / Epigenetics
PRMT4/CARM1 (C31G9) Rabbit mAb #3379
|W IP IF-IC||H M R Mk||Endogenous||63||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
PRMT4/CARM1 (C31G9) Rabbit mAb detects endogenous levels of PRMT4/CARM1 protein (both isoforms). This antibody does not cross-react with other PRMT proteins.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to the amino terminus of the human PRMT4/CARM1 protein.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HeLa and NIH/3T3 cells using PRMT4/CARM1 (C31G9) Rabbit mAb.
Protein arginine N-methyltransferase 1 (PRMT1) is a member of the protein arginine N-methyltransferase (PRMT) family of proteins that catalyze the transfer of a methyl group from S-adenosylmethionine (AdoMet) to a guanidine nitrogen of arginine (1). Though all PRMT proteins catalyze the formation of mono-methyl arginine, Type I PRMTs (PRMT1, 3, 4, and 6) add an additional methyl group to produce an asymmetric di-methyl arginine while Type II PRMTs (PRMT 5 and 7) produce symmetric di-methyl arginine (1). Mono-methyl arginine, but not di-methyl arginine, can be converted to citrulline through deimination catalyzed by enzymes such as PADI4 (2). Most PRMTs, including PRMT1, methylate arginine residues found within glycine-arginine rich (GAR) protein domains, such as RGG, RG, and RXR repeats (1). However, PRMT4/CARM1 and PRMT5 methylate arginine residues within PGM (proline-, glycine-, methionine-rich) motifs (3). PRMT1 methylates Arg3 of histone H4 and cooperates synergistically with p300/CBP to enhance transcriptional activation by nuclear receptor proteins (4-6). In addition, PRMT1 methylates many non-histone proteins, including the orphan nuclear receptor HNF4 (6), components of the heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein (hnRNP) particle (7), the RNA binding protein Sam68 (8), interleukin enhancer-binding factor 3 (ILF3) (9) and interferon-α and β receptors (10). These interactions suggest additional functions in transcriptional regulation, mRNA processing and signal transduction. Alternative mRNA splicing produces three enzymatically active PMRT1 isoforms that differ in their amino-terminal regions (11). PRMT1 is localized to the nucleus or cytoplasm, depending on cell type (12,13) and appears in many distinct protein complexes. ILF3, TIS21 and the leukemia-associated BTG1 proteins bind PRMT1 to regulate its methyltransferase activity (9,14).
- Bedford, M.T. and Richard, S. (2005) Mol. Cell 18, 263-272.
- Wang, Y. et al. (2004) Science 306, 279-283.
- Cheng, D. et al. (2007) Mol. Cell 25, 71-83.
- Wang, H. et al. (2001) Science 293, 853-857.
- Strahl, B.D. et al. (2001) Curr. Biol. 11, 996-1000.
- Barrero, M.J. and Malik, S. (2006) Mol. Cell 24, 233-243.
- Nichols, R.C. et al. (2000) Exp. Cell Res. 256, 522-532.
- Côté, J. et al. (2003) Mol. Biol. Cell 14, 274-287.
- Tang, J. et al. (2000) J. Biol. Chem. 275, 19866-19876.
- Abramovich, C. et al. (1997) EMBO J. 16, 260-266.
- Scorilas, A. et al. (2000) Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 278, 349-359.
- Frankel, A. et al. (2002) J. Biol. Chem. 277, 3537-3543.
- Herrmann, F. et al. (2005) J. Biol. Chem. 280, 38005-38010.
- Lin, W.J. et al. (1996) J. Biol. Chem. 271, 15034-15044.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 2115 SRC-3 (11B1) Mouse mAb
- 2191 SRC-1 (128E7) Rabbit mAb
- 3202 Androgen Receptor Antibody
- 4992 PABP1 Antibody
- 9715 Histone H3 Antibody
- 9717 Histone H3 (3H1) Rabbit mAb
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
Rabbit monoclonal antibody is produced under license (granting certain rights including those under U. S. Patent No. 5,675,063) from Epitomics, Inc.
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.