Product Pathways - Cytoskeletal Signaling
Phospho-DRP1 (Ser616) Antibody #3455
|W IP IF-IC F||H (M) (R) (Mk)||Endogenous||78-82||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Phospho-DRP1 (Ser616) Antibody detects endogenous levels of DRP1 only when phosphorylated at Ser616.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic phosphopeptide corresponding to residues surrounding Ser616 of human DRP1. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HeLa cells, untreated or treated with Calyculin A #9902, using Phospho-DRP1 (Ser616) Antibody.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HeLa cells, untreated or nocodazole-treated for the indicated times, using Phospho-DRP1 (Ser616) Antibody.
Immunoprecipitation of Phospho-DRP1 (Ser616) from HeLa cell extracts, untreated or nocodazole-treated, using Phospho-DRP1 (Ser616) Antibody followed by western blot using the same antibody. Lanes 1 & 2 are 5% input.
Flow cytometric analysis of Jurkat cells using Phospho-DRP1 (Ser616) Antibody versus propidium iodide (DNA content).
Dynamin-related protein 1 (DRP1) is a member of the dynamin superfamily of GTPases. Members of this family have diverse cellular functions including vesicle scission, organelle fission, viral resistance, and intracellular trafficking (reviewed in 1). DRP1 affects mitochondrial morphology and is important in mitochondrial and peroxisomal fission in mammalian cells (2-5). The yeast ortholog of DRP1 clusters into a spiral-shaped structure on the mitochondrial membrane at the site of fission (reviewed in 6), and this structure is likely conserved in mammalian cells (3). The division of the mitochondria, which is required for apoptosis, as well as normal cell growth and development is controlled, in part, by the phosphorylation of DRP1 at Ser616 by Cdk1/cyclin B and at Ser637 by protein kinase A (PKA) (reviewed in 6). When phosphorylated at Ser616, DRP1 stimulates mitochondrial fission during mitosis. Conversely, fission is inhibited when DRP1 is phosphorylated at Ser637 (reviewed in 6). Dephosphorylation at Ser637 by calcineurin reverses this inhibition (7). In addition to phosphorylation, sumoylation of DRP1 is also an enhancer of mitochondrial fission (8). Balancing fission and fusion events is essential for proper mitochondrial function. Research studies have demonstrated mitochondrial defects in a variety of neurodegenerative diseases including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and Huntington’s disease (reviewed in 6).
- Praefcke, G.J. and McMahon, H.T. (2004) Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 5, 133-47.
- Taguchi, N. et al. (2007) J Biol Chem 282, 11521-9.
- Smirnova, E. et al. (2001) Mol Biol Cell 12, 2245-56.
- Smirnova, E. et al. (1998) J Cell Biol 143, 351-8.
- Koch, A. et al. (2003) J Biol Chem 278, 8597-605.
- Knott, A.B. et al. (2008) Nat Rev Neurosci 9, 505-18.
- Cereghetti, G.M. et al. (2008) Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105, 15803-8.
- Zunino, R. et al. (2007) J Cell Sci 120, 1178-88.
- Merrill, R.A. et al. (2011) PLoS Biol 9, e1000612. Applications: Western Blotting
- Rambold, A.S. et al. (2011) Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108, 10190-5. Applications: Western Blotting
- Kashatus, D.F. et al. (2011) Nat Cell Biol , . Applications: Western Blotting
- Rehman, J. et al. (2012) FASEB J 26, 2175-86. Applications: Western Blotting
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.