Product Pathways - Translational Control
Phospho-eIF2α (Ser51) (119A11) Rabbit mAb #3597
|W IP IHC-P||H M R Mk Dm||Endogenous||38||Rabbit IgG|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Mk=Monkey Dm=D. melanogaster
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Phospho-eIF2alpha (Ser51) RmAb detects endogenous eIF2alpha only when phosphorylated at Ser51. The antibody does not recognize elF2alpha phosphorylated at other sites.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic phosphopeptide corresponding to residues surrounding Ser51 of human eIF2alpha.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HT29 (human) and AR42J (mouse) cells, untreated or thapsigargin-treated (300 nM, 30 min), using Phospho-eIF2alpha (Ser51) (119A11) Rabbit mAb (upper) or eIF2alpha Antibody #9722 (lower).
Western blot analysis of extracts from HeLa and THP-1 cells untreated or phosphatase treated, using Phospho-eIF2alpha (Ser51) (119A11) Rabbit mAb.
Western blot analysis of immunoprecipitates from PC12 cells, using Phospho-eIF2alpha (Ser51) (119A11) Rabbit mAb. Lane 1 is lysate control, lane 2 is the antibody alone as negative control and lane 3 is antibody immunocomplex of PC12 cells.
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded PC-3 cells untreated (left) or thapsigargin-treated (right), using Phospho-eIF2alpha (Ser51) (119A11) Rabbit mAb.
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded human breast carcinoma, showing cytoplasmic localization, using Phospho-eIF2alpha (Ser51) (119A11) Rabbit mAb.
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded human lung carcinoma, using Phospho-eIF2alpha (Ser51) (119A11) Rabbit mAb.
Phosphorylation of the eukaryotic initiation factor 2 (eIF2) α subunit is a well-documented mechanism to downregulate protein synthesis under a variety of stress conditions. eIF2 binds GTP and Met-tRNAi and transfers Met-tRNA to the 40S subunit to form the 43S preinitiation complex (1,2). eIF2 promotes a new round of translation initiation by exchanging GDP for GTP, a reaction catalyzed by eIF2B (1,2). Kinases that are activated by viral infection (PKR), endoplasmic reticulum stress (PERK/PEK), amino acid deprivation (GCN2), or heme deficiency (HRI) can phosphorylate the α subunit of eIF2 (3,4). This phosphorylation stabilizes the eIF2-GDP-eIF2B complex and inhibits the turnover of eIF2B. Induction of PKR by IFN-γ and TNF-α induces potent phosphorylation of eIF2α at Ser51 (5,6).
- Kimball, S.R. (1999) Int. J. Biochem. Cell Biol. 31, 25-29.
- De Haro, C. et al. (1996) FASEB J. 10, 1378-1387.
- Kaufman, R.J. (1999) Genes Dev. 13, 1211-1233.
- Sheikh, M.S. and Fornace Jr., A.J. (1999) Oncogene 18, 6121-6128.
- Cheshire, J.L. et al. (1999) J. Biol. Chem. 274, 4801-4806.
- Zamanian-Daryoush, M. et al. (2000) Mol. Cell. Biol. 20, 1278-1290.
- Wu, M. et al. (2010) Rejuvenation Res 13, 571-9. Applications: Western Blotting
- Kim, I. et al. (2009) J Biol Chem 284, 1593-603. Applications: Western Blotting
- De Raedt, T. et al. (2011) Cancer Cell 20, 400-13. Applications: Western Blotting
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 9721 Phospho-eIF2α (Ser51) Antibody
- 2103 eIF2α (L57A5) Mouse mAb
- 9722 eIF2α Antibody
- 8112 SignalStain® Antibody Diluent
- 3595 eIF2B-ε Antibody
- 3302 GCN2 Antibody
- 1221 Phospho-eIF2α (Ser51) Blocking Peptide
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
Rabbit Monoclonals Produced Using Epitomics® Technology, U.S. Patent No. 5,675,063.
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.