Product Pathways - Adhesion
NCAM (CD56) Antibody #3606
|W||H M R||Endogenous||140||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
NCAM (CD56) Antibody detects endogenous levels of total NCAM protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding amino acid 800 of human NCAM. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
NCAM (neural cell adhesion molecule, CD56) is an adhesion glycoprotein with five extracellular immunoglobulin-like domains followed by two fibronectin type III repeats. Structural diversity is introduced by alternative splicing resulting in different cytoplasmic domains (1). NCAM mediates neuronal attachment, neurite extension and cell-cell interactions through homo and heterophilic interactions. PSA (polysialic acid) post-translationally modifies NCAM and increases the metastatic potential of small cell lung carcinoma, Wilms+ tumor, neuroblastoma and rhabdomyosarcoma (2). CD56 and CD16 are commonly used to identify NK cells although some cells with the T cell markers CD3 and CD4 also express CD56 (3).
- Cunningham, B. A. et al. (1987) Science 236, 799-806.
- Seidenfaden, R. et al. (2003) Mol. Cell. Biol. 23, 5908-5918.
- Robertson, M.J. and Ritz, J. (1990) Blood 76, 2421-2438.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 3576 CD56 (NCAM) (123C3) Mouse mAb
- 3568 CD31 (PECAM-1) (158-2B3) Mouse mAb
- 4061 N-Cadherin Antibody
- 4915 CD54 (ICAM-1) Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.