Product Pathways - Neuroscience
GFAP (GA5) Mouse mAb #3670
|W IHC-P IF-F||H M R||Endogenous||50||Mouse IgG1|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
GFAP (GA5) Mouse mAb detects endogenous levels of total GFAP protein.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with native GFAP purified from pig spinal cord.
Western blot analysis of extracts from mouse and rat brain, using GFAP (GA5) Mouse mAb.
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded human medulloblastoma, using GFAP (GA5) Mouse mAb.
Confocal immunofluorescence image of rat hippocampus labeled with GFAP (GA5) Mouse mAb (red), Phospho-S6 Ribosomal Protein (Ser235/236) (2F9) Rabbit mAb (Alexa Fluor® 488 Conjugate) #4854 (green), and CREB (48H2) Rabbit mAb #9197 (blue).
The cytoskeleton consists of three types of cytosolic fibers: microfilaments (actin filaments), intermediate filaments, and microtubules. Major types of intermediate filaments are specifically expressed in particular cell types: cytokeratins in epithelial cells, glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) in glial cells, desmin in skeletal, visceral, and certain vascular smooth muscle cells, vimentin in cells of mesenchymal origin, and neurofilaments in neurons. GFAP and vimentin form intermediate filaments in astroglial cells and modulate their motility and shape (1). In particular, vimentin filaments are present at early developmental stages, while GFAP filaments are characteristic of differentiated and mature brain astrocytes. Thus, GFAP is commonly used as a marker for intracranial and intraspinal tumors arising from astrocytes (2). In addition, GFAP intermediate filaments are also present in nonmyelin-forming Schwann cells in the peripheral nervous system (3).
- Eng, L.F. et al. (2000) Neurochem. Res. 25, 1439-51.
- Goebel, H.H. et al. (1987) Acta. Histochem. Suppl. 34, 81-93.
- Jessen, K.R. et al. (1990) Development 109, 91-103.
- Davies, J.E. et al. (2008) J Biol 7, 24. Applications: IF-IC (In Cells)
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 2148 α/β-Tubulin Antibody
- 7072 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-mouse IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7076 Anti-mouse IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 8112 SignalStain® Antibody Diluent
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.