Product Pathways - Translational Control
FLCN (D14G9) Rabbit mAb #3697
|W IP||H||Endogenous||70||Rabbit IgG|
Reactivity Key: H=Human
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
FLCN (D14G9) Rabbit mAb detects endogenous levels of total FLCN protein.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with recombinant human FLCN protein.
The protein folliculin (FLCN) is encoded by the BHD (Birt-Hogg-Dube) gene that is altered in BHD Syndrome, a disorder characterized by the presence of benign connective tissue tumors known as fibrofolliculomas, renal tumors and lung cysts (1). Clinical similarities between BHD and hamartoma-producing disorders caused by Tsc2, PTEN and LKB1 gene mutations indicate that FLCN might also be important in nutrient and energy sensing through the mTOR pathway (2). This model is supported by studies demonstrating a direct correlation between the down regulation of BHD and a reduction in mTOR associated phosphorylation of S6 ribosomal protein (3). Mutation of either the TSC1 or TSC2 gene results in elevated mTOR activity (4) while deletion of the Tsc2 and BHD homologs in yeast have opposing effects on both mTOR signaling and amino acid homeostasis (5). BHD knock-out mice develop cysts and renal cell tumors similar to those found in BHD patients along with low levels of phosphorylated S6 ribosomal protein (3). Based on these finding, it appears that either abnormally high or abnormally low levels of mTOR signaling might contribute to renal cell carcinogenesis.
- Nickerson, M.L. et al. (2002) Cancer Cell 2, 157-64.
- Baba, M. et al. (2006) Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103, 15552-7.
- Hartman, T.R. et al. (2009) Oncogene 28, 1594-604.
- Kwiatkowski, D.J. (2003) Cancer Biol Ther 2, 471-6.
- van Slegtenhorst, M. et al. (2007) J Biol Chem 282, 24583-90.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.