Product Pathways - Development
AFP (3H8) Mouse mAb #3903
|W IF-IC F||H||Endogenous||70||Mouse IgG2a|
Reactivity Key: H=Human
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
AFP (3H8) Mouse mAb detects endogenous levels of total AFP protein.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with a recombinant fragment of human AFP.
Flow cytometric analysis of HepG2 cells using AFP (3H8) Mouse mAb (blue) compared to Mouse (G3A1) mAb IgG1 Isotype Control #5415.
Confocal immunofluorescent analysis of HepG2 cells using AFP Mouse mAb (green). Actin filaments have been labeled with DY-554 phalloidin (red). Blue pseudocolor = DRAQ5® #4084 (fluorescent DNA dye).
Alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) is a 65 kDa glycoprotein found in the mammalian fetal liver, yolk sac, and GI tract. While AFP expression in adult cells is low, it is aberrantly expressed in adult liver cancer cells (1,2). The tumor suppressor gene p53 and β-catenin are both involved in the regulation of AFP expression. In normal adult cells, p53 binds to the repressor region of the AFP gene, thereby blocking transcription. Mutations in both p53 and β-catenin are associated with aberrant expression of AFP. Research studies have shown that elevated serum AFP levels are predictive of hepatocellular carcinoma (3).
- Meier, V. et al. (2006) Comp Hepatol 5, 2.
- Warnes, T.W. and Smith, A. (1987) Baillieres Clin Gastroenterol 1, 63-89.
- Peng, S.Y. et al. (2004) Int J Cancer 112, 44-50.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7076 Anti-mouse IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.