Product Pathways - Cytoskeletal Signaling
Acetyl-α-Tubulin (Lys40) Antibody #3971
|W||H M R||Endogenous||52||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Acetyl-α-Tubulin (Lys40) Antibody detects endogenous levels of tubulin only when acetylated at Lys40. This amino acid is not conserved in β-tubulin.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Lys40 of human α-tubulin. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
The cytoskeleton consists of three types of cytosolic fibers: microtubules, microfilaments (actin filaments), and intermediate filaments. Globular tubulin subunits comprise the microtubule building block, with α/β-tubulin heterodimers forming the tubulin subunit common to all eukaryotic cells. γ-tubulin is required to nucleate polymerization of tubulin subunits to form microtubule polymers. Many cell movements are mediated by microtubule action, including the beating of cilia and flagella, cytoplasmic transport of membrane vesicles, chromosome alignment during meiosis/mitosis, and nerve-cell axon migration. These movements result from competitive microtubule polymerization and depolymerization or through the actions of microtubule motor proteins (1).
The Elongator complex catalytic subunit (Elp3) acetylates α-tubulin at Lys40 while the histone deacetylase HDAC6 functions as a tubulin deacetylase. This post-transcriptional modification may be required for dynamic cell shape remodeling, cell motility, tubulin stability and terminal branching of cortical neurons (2-3).
- Westermann, S. and Weber, K. (2003) Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 4, 938 -947.
- Creppe, C. et al. (2009) Cell 136, 551-564.
- Hubbert, C. et al. (2002) Nature 417, 455-458.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 2128 β-Tubulin (9F3) Rabbit mAb
- 3873 α-Tubulin (DM1A) Mouse mAb
- 2144 α-Tubulin Antibody
- 2146 β-Tubulin Antibody
- 2148 α/β-Tubulin Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 9997 Tris Buffered Saline with Tween 20 (TBST-10X)
- 9998 BSA
- 9999 Nonfat Dry Milk
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.