Product Pathways - PI3K / Akt Signaling
Phospho-Akt (Ser473) (587F11) Mouse mAb #4051
|W IP||H M R Hm (Mk)||Endogenous||60||Mouse IgG2b|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Hm=Hamster Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Phospho-Akt (Ser473) (587F11) Mouse mAb detects endogenous levels of Akt only when phosphorylated at serine 473. This antibody does not detect Akt phosphorylated at other sites or related kinases such as PKC and p70 S6 kinase.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic phosphopeptide corresponding to residues around Ser473 of mouse Akt.
Akt, also referred to as PKB or Rac, plays a critical role in controlling survival and apoptosis (1-3). This protein kinase is activated by insulin and various growth and survival factors to function in a wortmannin-sensitive pathway involving PI3 kinase (2,3). Akt is activated by phospholipid binding and activation loop phosphorylation at Thr308 by PDK1 (4) and by phosphorylation within the carboxy terminus at Ser473. The previously elusive PDK2 responsible for phosphorylation of Akt at Ser473 has been identified as mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) in a rapamycin-insensitive complex with rictor and Sin1 (5,6). Akt promotes cell survival by inhibiting apoptosis through phosphorylation and inactivation of several targets, including Bad (7), forkhead transcription factors (8), c-Raf (9), and caspase-9. PTEN phosphatase is a major negative regulator of the PI3 kinase/Akt signaling pathway (10). LY294002 is a specific PI3 kinase inhibitor (11). Another essential Akt function is the regulation of glycogen synthesis through phosphorylation and inactivation of GSK-3α and β (12,13). Akt may also play a role in insulin stimulation of glucose transport (12). In addition to its role in survival and glycogen synthesis, Akt is involved in cell cycle regulation by preventing GSK-3β-mediated phosphorylation and degradation of cyclin D1 (14) and by negatively regulating the cyclin dependent kinase inhibitors p27 Kip1 (15) and p21 Waf1/Cip1 (16). Akt also plays a critical role in cell growth by directly phosphorylating mTOR in a rapamycin-sensitive complex containing raptor (17). More importantly, Akt phosphorylates and inactivates tuberin (TSC2), an inhibitor of mTOR within the mTOR-raptor complex (18,19).
- Franke, T.F. et al. (1997) Cell 88, 435-7.
- Burgering, B.M. and Coffer, P.J. (1995) Nature 376, 599-602.
- Franke, T.F. et al. (1995) Cell 81, 727-36.
- Alessi, D.R. et al. (1996) EMBO J 15, 6541-51.
- Sarbassov, D.D. et al. (2005) Science 307, 1098-101.
- Jacinto, E. et al. (2006) Cell 127, 125-37.
- Cardone, M.H. et al. (1998) Science 282, 1318-21.
- Brunet, A. et al. (1999) Cell 96, 857-68.
- Zimmermann, S. and Moelling, K. (1999) Science 286, 1741-4.
- Cantley, L.C. and Neel, B.G. (1999) Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96, 4240-5.
- Vlahos, C.J. et al. (1994) J Biol Chem 269, 5241-8.
- Hajduch, E. et al. (2001) FEBS Lett 492, 199-203.
- Cross, D.A. et al. (1995) Nature 378, 785-9.
- Diehl, J.A. et al. (1998) Genes Dev 12, 3499-511.
- Gesbert, F. et al. (2000) J Biol Chem 275, 39223-30.
- Zhou, B.P. et al. (2001) Nat Cell Biol 3, 245-52.
- Navé, B.T. et al. (1999) Biochem J 344 Pt 2, 427-31.
- Inoki, K. et al. (2002) Nat Cell Biol 4, 648-57.
- Manning, B.D. et al. (2002) Mol Cell 10, 151-62.
- Miura, S. et al. (2007) Biol Pharm Bull 30, 891-7. Applications: Western Blotting
- Eliopoulos, N. et al. (2010) Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 299, F1288-98. Applications: Western Blotting
- Gao, D. et al. (2011) Mol Cell 44, 290-303. Applications: Western Blotting
- Jinesh, G.G. et al. (2012) Cell Death Differ , . Applications: Western Blotting
- Doberstein, K. et al. (2011) Carcinogenesis 32, 1713-23. Applications: Western Blotting
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 4060 Phospho-Akt (Ser473) (D9E) XP® Rabbit mAb
- 1140 Phospho-Akt (Ser473) Blocking Peptide
- 2965 Phospho-Akt (Thr308) (C31E5E) Rabbit mAb
- 4691 Akt (pan) (C67E7) Rabbit mAb
- 7160 PathScan® Phospho-Akt1 (Ser473) Sandwich ELISA Kit
- 7170 PathScan® Total Akt1 Sandwich ELISA Kit
- 9916 Phospho-Akt Pathway Antibody Sampler Kit
- 9901 LY294002
- 9273 Akt Control Cell Extracts
- 7072 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-mouse IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7076 Anti-mouse IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 8740 Protein G Magnetic Beads
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.